Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
CRITICAL DDOS possibility in newest asss version

View previous topic  How to get the zone listed? Post :: Post Antiwarp in safezones  View next topic  
Dragony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: CRITICAL DDOS possibility in newest asss version Reply to topic Reply with quote

This problem appears if someone uses the nice tcp based billing protocol. The problem is that values are not masked, thus, if a player logs in, the player can render the server useless and in worst case modify or overwrite data. In every case this should make the billing server crash.

PLOGIN:pid:flag:name:pw:ip:macid:contid

So if a user choses a password containing a ":", the server does not block it.

PLOGIN:123:0:hack0r:hack:ed:100.222.33.44:blabla:bleh

Since password is "hack:ed", a server splitting the string for : will get additional values. The worst case is that the IP is now "ed" and if the server inserts the IP in a database without checking the values, you can use sql-injecting here ect....

Solutions:

Easy fix: Block passwords having ":" in them
Not-so-easy fix: Mask the password html-style
Best-fix: server encodes password to md5 before transmitting it to the billing server.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

An easier solution would be to make the password the last field.

While it is a bug, you probably shouldn't be able to login because the contid would be cut off
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone actually use the TCP billing protocol?

I did attempt to write a TCP billing server a while back but gave up lol, i dont think there is one in existance

A better solution would be to redesign the protocol...it appears to haves some flaws tongue.gif
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

CypherJF made a biller in java which uses TCP billing:
http://cypherjf.sscentral.com/accede/
Dragony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have written a biller for it. Thats why I have found the issue. Anyway.... I now wonder if the tcp specifications are completed at all? For example, isn't the job of the biller to calculate the kills etc. as well? I don't find any kill-communication in the protocol at all....
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'd hope any developer would try and catch this type of scenario - boot any connection trying to flood it with invalid packets. The biller should expect 8 parameters to be provided, anything more should be analyzed w/ scrutiny, any less should be rejected.

The TCP biller protocol is aka "user database protocol" isn't intended to keep track of player statistics (eg. kills, deaths, etc.), but only communication and user-store information (whose who, chat channels, squads, banners, etc.). grelminar believed scores should belong to the specific game server and not a central location.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

reread what he wrote cypher... it's not quite a ddos attack
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Code: Show/Hide
^PLOGIN:(?P<pid>[\d]+):(?P<flag>[\d]+):(?P<name>[^:]+):(?P<password>.*):(?P<ip>([\d]{1,3}\.){3}([\d]{1,3})):(?P<macid>.*):(?P<contid>.*)$

problem solved, check it yourself. If you're not implementing it in Python or PCRE you'll have to change the named capture group syntax but it should be fine otherwise.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 546 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.428844 seconds : 33 queries executed (93.6%): GZIP compression disabled