Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
SubSpace StarCraft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  BlueT Post :: Post bp server and mailing server  View next topic  
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: SubSpace StarCraft Reply to topic Reply with quote

SSSC combines two of my most favorite games in one. I have been working on this for many months and the first arena is almost finished. It will feature Terrans vs Protoss. Terrans use SCVs, Marines, Vultures and Tanks. Protoss use Probes, Zealots, Dragoons and Reavers. It uses the exact settings from original StarCraft (health points, shields, unit costs, unit build times). There will be two ways to win. Capture more resource points (flags) than the other team within some minutes or bring the psi emitter (ball) into the enemy base to lure zergs.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Terran Spawn

Protoss Spawn

Top "Base" (there you see some resource points)

Psi Emitter

Terran Base

Protoss Base

VIDEO

I am looking for testers (IRC needed) and of course hosting. Please use PM.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is that subgame or ASSS?
Looks relatively nicely done... ships rotation angles seemed a bit off in the video (vs firing angle)
And I'm guessing you plan on replacing that text Shields status by lvz's of some sort

And that looks like a huge download, what's the size of all of this? If you didn't do that already, you might want to consider having one lvz file with only the image definitions, and put the files themselves in separate lvz's, that will allow you to move images around without requiring people to redownload the whole thing.
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is ASSS 1.4.4

The units in StarCraft use fewer rotation steps than SubSpace. The red dots you see in the screenshots indicate the exact rotation angle. The text messages are an interim solution. They will be replaced with a counter to the right of the health bar at the top of the screen.

The lvzs are separated: currently 7,3 MB in 13 files.
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sounds good, looks good, good concept.
also appears well thought out.
should do well.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is a little update. I have finished the work on the modules and the LVZs. I now need some testers to see if everything works with more than one player. Please contact me! I also have a picture that shows the working protoss interface. Please ignore the energy counter in the top right. It doesn't mean anything when playing as protoss.

Protoss interface in action
blue monday
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks great!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks cool. How much do you depend on ASSS? Beyond the shields, I mean.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Except the shields I have two other modules.

One manages spawning and points. You always spawn in your teams spawn area. In order to get to the battlefield you have to get close to the transport vehicle. If you have enough points and you have waited longer than the build time for that unit type you will be warped into the base of your team. You gain points by controlling the resource fields (but that is standard turf game and not controlled by my module)

The other one controls the game logic. That is warping players to the spawn areas and resetting their points to an initial value (50 now, enough to buy a SCV or Probe) once the win condition is met or the time is over.
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Would be nice if you can build structures, armories, etc. like in the real StarCraft game and other RTS games. sa_tongue.gif
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Purge wrote:
Would be nice if you can build structures, armories, etc. like in the real StarCraft game and other RTS games. sa_tongue.gif

Maybe in the future.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I dunno if you've seen my vehicles module but I think it would work well with your zone. I don't think anyone's actually used it but I think it's the sweetest thing ever:

http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?t=7055

You could have players start out as marines/zealots/zerglings(larva?) and be able to get into better vehicles as they play.
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I could emulate terran bunkers this way but I can't sacrifice a ship type to be the bunker (4 per race is few enough). Other than that I don't really see use for it. Units in StarCraft are not mountable, you just spawn as a different type.

However, once the zone is working on Continuum I'll have a closer look at Discretion and see if I can port it.
From the wiki: "The goal of this is to eliminate any built-in constraints present in VIE SubSpace and Continuum. [...] the number of ships"
That would allow me to include all units from StarCraft, not just 4 from every race. Maybe it would be even possible to have certain ships be blocked by tiles and others can just fly through (for air units).
Another idea that crossed my mind is to have weapons that fade in and out + ships have different states with different settings for every state + friction for ships / no drifting. All this would allow me to include the lurker with its spines. etc etc, the possibilities are endless I guess - Provided Discretion is stable and finds many supporters.
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Another idea that crossed my mind is to have weapons that fade in and out + ships have different states with different settings for every state + friction for ships / no drifting. All this would allow me to include the lurker with its spines. etc etc, the possibilities are endless I guess - Provided Discretion is stable and finds many supporters.
Correct -- and with that kind of support to Discretion, the developer of it (forgive me -- I totally forgot his name icon_sad.gif ) may be motivated to develop it further. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Players could elect a commander to do the base building and stuff. biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samapico

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

L.C. wrote:
(forgive me -- I totally forgot his name icon_sad.gif ) may be motivated to develop it further. biggrin.gif
Just look a few posts above you tongue.gif
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I need testers. Join #sssc on irc.gamesurge.net.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Right click Continuum.exe and go to run as. Select a different account on your computer (must have a password). You can run continuum in windowed mode with two users at once.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bak wrote:
Right click Continuum.exe and go to run as. Select a different account on your computer (must have a password). You can run continuum in windowed mode with two users at once.

Be careful with this method because Continuum started this way won't allow you to save (download) anything.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh. Didn't know that. I'll try it, thanks.
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The zone is online now! Look for "SSA StarCraft". Big thanks to Snrrrub for hosting it.
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maverick wrote:
[..]

Be careful with this method because Continuum started this way won't allow you to save (download) anything.

only .40 is gay enough to do that, works for others.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The zone has received an update. The health points of terran units are now simulated like the protoss shields/health points. You will no longer find yourself stuck in a terran ship without any chance to change ship or spectate because you don't have full energy. It is also no longer possible to damage yourself. Join the server and spread the word.
divine.216

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Incredible Reply to topic Reply with quote

This really is beautiful. I'm impressed.

But I do hope your work stays off of Blizzard's radar. They have a nasty history of crushing their fans' creations with the heavy cudgel of copyright.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Samapico

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just add a notice that Starcraft is a trademarked by Blizzard in the news.txt or something, and you'll never have a problem
General Shadow
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks almost like some things from SubSpace 2
jouli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Great Reply to topic Reply with quote

Interesting and so much informative.great theme.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Zone Hosting / Advertising All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 670 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.480232 seconds : 50 queries executed (92.0%): GZIP compression disabled