Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Does Python 2.5 work with AS3?

View previous topic  Compiling ASSS on Windows (xp). Post :: Post Ball friction (that time of year again?)  View next topic  
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Does Python 2.5 work with AS3? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been playing around with as3 on Windows, and my first goal is to get it to compile, in Dev-C++. Aside from a few problems where asss.dev references files that don't exist, I needed to install Python and put the .exe in windeps to get it to work. I've already set system.mk to reflect that I'm using version 2.5. But when it looks for the dll, it looks for Python24.dll. I don't have that, I just have Python25.dll. I already tried renaming it... but I didn't expect that to work. Anyway, is this going to work with Python 2.5, or do I have to use 2.4? I'll probably uninstall 2.5 and run 2.4 anyway because I've run out of ideas and I'm impatient, but it'll still be nice to know if it works with Python2.5 or not.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Agile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There may be a way to get it to work with 2.5, but I just used 2.4 and that worked fine. No reason to use 2.5 unless you use python for other things as well.
Additionally, python modules suck. There are a few things they lack which you can only do via c module. Just my personal opinion tho.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agile wrote:
Additionally, python modules suck. There are a few things they lack which you can only do via c module. Just my personal opinion tho.

If I never wanted to use flags or compile AS3, then I wouldn't bother with Python.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Agile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Never realized the flag modules were python modules=( Lame.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that I'm using Python2.4 I'm still getting a weird error

Compiler: Default compiler
Executing make...
make.exe -f "Makefile" all
../windeps/install.exe core/backtrace ../build/asss.exe ../build/funky.dll ../build/turf.dll py/exec.py py/fg_turf.py py/fg_wz.py py/fm_password.py py/watchgreen.py ../windeps/zlib1.dll ../windeps/pthreadGC2.dll ../windeps/python24.dll ../windeps/libdb4.dll ../bin
process_begin: CreateProcess((null), uname -s, ...) failed.

Execution terminated

That's from Dev-C++... I have no idea what that means
Goldeye (away)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like your copy of install.exe is buggy. All it does is copy all those files listed to ../bin, so you can replace it (in the makefile) with any equivalent method.
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've got python25 to work fine. You need to copy python.exe and pythong25.dll to the windeps directory and then update the make files to use 25 instead of 24. Ive attached the make files I use, they may or may not help u. Also i recommend, if you have not already is you ensure you install mingw separate to dev-C++ as the version that comes with dev-c++ is very old and doesn't work with vista,

My makefiles

src.rar - 3.39 KB
File downloaded or viewed 15 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lol, I don't have vista. My problem now is that thing I just posted... I have no idea what that is or what to do about it.

When you got python2.5 to work, was that on Linux or Windows? If Windows, which compiler?
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Search for that createprocess failed thing. I've seen it in other threads.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate Dreams wrote:
Lol, I don't have vista. My problem now is that thing I just posted... I have no idea what that is or what to do about it.

When you got python2.5 to work, was that on Linux or Windows? If Windows, which compiler?

it was on windows, linux works with not changes. Try looking at the make files i uploaded and comparing them to your own (they in the rar file i attached) These definatly work for python.
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Python is a good option because it supports "multi-operating systems" meaning you don't need to recompile it into a .so when changing from windows to linux, or a .dll in the other direction. You don't even need to compile it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Instead of reading the last sentence and going "oh vista .... doesn't work ..." I suggest you try Doc Flabby's makefiles since it sounds like he made similar, probably better edits than me.

I think the "createprocess failed" thing is a hack to detect devcpp, only it doesn't work if you also have cygwin installed, see http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?p=75095#75095 for how I got devcpp to compile with python 2.5.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong wrote:
Instead of reading the last sentence and going "oh vista .... doesn't work ..." I suggest you try Doc Flabby's makefiles since it sounds like he made similar, probably better edits than me.

That's not what I did at all. I don't even have Vista. Besides, I've already deleted Python2.5 and replaced it with Python2.4. There's no telling what other kind of errors I might run into Python wise without me having any idea what's causing it. I'll get it running with 2.4, and then I'll worry about updating to 2.5.
doc gues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong wrote:

Sometimes you can show a man the solution and he still will look for his own answer. My make files will work just as well for 2.4 if you simply rename 25 to 24....
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought your makefiles were only for making it work with 2.5?
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate Dreams wrote:
I thought your makefiles were only for making it work with 2.5?

2.5 links into asss just the same as 2.4. It would simply be a matter or changing all references to 24 to 25. Theres no real difference in the c interface between the versions. I'm currently working on a make file that works for windows and linux. At the moment i'm having to use 2 different ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 679 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.634189 seconds : 43 queries executed (78.2%): GZIP compression disabled