Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Request for a new Server.zip build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic  Connecting Wiimotes to computers Post :: Post Science Fair - Liquid Nitrogen Project  View next topic  
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:58 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ace wrote:
Wow, this thread's more off-topic than I could ever imagine.

I'm still waiting for anyone to attach a file containing what they'd like. Like maybe an edited server.ini, an example configuration of subbill2 that would run out of the box, maybe some example maps/lvzs to throw into the mix so people can have subarenas pre-setup in mode 5. I'd be more than willing to throw in my own mixtures of maps and game settings I've created.

Maybe attach (or link) the specific tools you'd like, even if it is something as obvious as SSME (since there are more than one versions of it, can link/attach both) or any of the projects listed else where. So to encourage this, go here and submit stuff. Feel free to keep requesting bug fixes or anything else that I never mentioned to do in here.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

why not have the installer edit the files?

like prompting for zone name, port, etc.
then the user doesnt have to edit anything.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cheese wrote:
why not have the installer edit the files?

Because there isn't a GUI for everything else. You'll need to learn to edit the files to do changes, you might as well start up front.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:15 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think a GUI for Subgame would save a lot of "pain in the ass" moments. -_- It can be done, if someone really cares about doing something productive and beneficial to some people (even if it may not be themselves or people they usually hang around).
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:03 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

L.C., you don't have something like ADD or ADHD right?

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
You'll need to learn to edit the files to do changes, you might as well start up front.

Besides, I think getting a GUI installer for a few small file changes (at the moment you have to do like 6 simple things to get Subgame to run) is way too much.

Letting an installer configure things won't help anyone and might as well bring more newbie questions to the forums.
New hosts won't be able to figure things out because some obscure installer did it for them. Let them teach themselves.

L.C. wrote:
if someone really cares about doing something productive and beneficial

It's a free game. Productive? Beneficial?
You're acting like you could make money off it, lol, one single configuration file is all what this is about.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a free game. Productive? Beneficial?
You're acting like you could make money off it, lol, one single configuration file is all what this is about.
The only reason I said that was because I wanted to see your cocky-ass make another bullshit reply to my post.

I find it hard that you can't seem to see that regardless whether a game is free or not, "productiveness" and "beneficiality" (too bad that isn't a real word) still applies to any game. Having to pay for a game has nothing to do with those. Applying components in the form of a business sense to a free game doesn't hurt anybody or the game. The only people that may be offended by it is the non-analytical, non-ADHD pieces of shit like you that tend to sit around their developer-friendly corners of horrendous disorganization and complexity. You only think about yourself and the developer-friendly pupils around you, rather than the rest of the community; whether it be the noobs in the community or not. If it works for you, then that's gold, even if it's confusing or difficult for people 'below' your experience, or people who have different perspectives and mind sets. If you turned this into a business, you wouldn't make as much money as you would if you designed it to be compatible for every operating system, to be compatible with as much and anything as possible to reach as many people. It is one tactic out of several that successful businessmen have used.

Whether our or you business be profitable (money-wise) or not, it doesn't matter. The same senses apply if you want to create a decent and pretty application. You may design it right, but it may be ugly; great design, but poor execution. If you want a good execution, you have to revise your software to where it could easily be used and understood by everybody. If you were Microsoft and made Windows, I doubt it would turn out as good as if Microsoft themselves made it.

To you and your surrounding pupils who work and live in developer-friendly environments your design may be good, and executed well. But that's only looking inside the box.

Yes, I have ADHD (and I have an analytical mindset, but I wouldn't doubt that you've already concluded that). I'm more of a perfectionist; I focus many of my priorities on producing my material in as perfect, as clean, as simple, compact, etc as possible. I hate seeing "dirty." I find that looking at a Subgame directory far more appealing than it would be AS3. Of course, if Subgame were open source, I wouldn't mind if the only changes that happened were that *.lvl and *.cfg files were stored in /levels/. If AS3 were Subgame, but with *.mod support, I would definately use it. The styles aren't the same as VIE's work, and I don't find that appealing. If PriitK lived in exactly the same box you live in, with the same "arrogant" and "ignorant" mindset, Continuum would no doubt be a mess.

Some games aren't really meant to be tampered with as to other games by players, like Splinter Cell (designed to be more-so as a "just play it") vs Half-Life (designed to be more moddable and more tamperable). Continuum is very much leaning on the moddable side. If you disagree with me, that's fine -- I can understand why you wouldn't want to peak outside the box (or just disagreeing with certain global philosophies), but I won't make that my problem. I agree with some of AhmedFs words, but it isn't like it matters to you.

By the way, what's your problem Solo?

EDIT :: Not like it matters, but if you're wondering where all this "business-like" and "business-mannered" influence came from (to me), long before my parents had married my father was a business man in Hungary. He had a few wealthy friends (businessmen to be more precise) and we still do. He got his advices from his successful friends (and mind you, not "friends because they were rich," but friendship regardless of each other's financial status) and ran his own store. It was quite successful at first, before he made the mistake of giving one homeless man free bread (next morning the whole community of homeless was at the front door). Unlike most businesses, my dad cared for the customers (ie. some came back to complain about "factory defects," and my dad gladly, in a friend-to-friend manner replaced the defected product; people kept coming back and my dad rarely lost a customer). After making that one mistake, he could have started it again and be in better shape than before in no time -- but this time he decided to move to America before getting married. I know you don't care Solo Ace, and I wouldn't doubt that you wouldn't take any of my words seriously, into consideration, or even accept them for what they are (or believe the words alone). But that's ok, you don't have to.. After all, this is the internet, isn't it?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:02 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Haha, you seem to be offended easily. Anyway, without reading your post, I'll say you're right just so you can be happy. Hmm'kay?

Besides, we could already jump to the conclusion about your mental disorders by just seeing how you're trying to accomplish your silly goals without actually making any progress.

I don't really care, as long as you're happy and never notice.

Actually letting Subgame use uPnP seems to be a more realistic idea every time I see your posts showing up.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:29 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LC just put Solo Ace on ignore like I have and don't feed the trolls.
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

biggrin.gif Feed the penguins instead.
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:52 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In that case, the only suggestion I could make (idea-wise) is that instead of showing an ignored user's post-placeholder and displaying...

You have added this person to your Ignore List. Click HERE to view this post.

It would completely omit the post. Eh? Good enough for me. Thanks for the advice Smong. :]
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:57 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A GUI to setup an ASSS server would be more useful imo tongue.gif
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ive got a big one.

close the biller stats files while not in use.

so you dont have to shut down the biller to change stuff -_-"
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 628 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.731761 seconds : 37 queries executed (81.2%): GZIP compression disabled