Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Galactic Empire project

View previous topic  killlvz Post :: Post noise upon entering  View next topic  
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Galactic Empire project Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:
Btw, what game is your inspiration?

My inspiration is from a game called "Galactic Empire" designed by M. B. Murdock for the Major BBS system. I used to play this game in the late 80's and early 90's. I have never forgotten about this game but it kind of died when the internet exploded into a new revolution of gaming. It only makes sense to me that this game be revitalized with Subspace code. Ideally, the game module would represent most of the key factors that made GE so great, along with some new features.

Point of this mod being playable in todays standards of Subspace; Subspace as you know is a kill'em type of game, which is fun, but it's lacking a key element that makes Galactic Empire so appealing (to me anyway), assets. The assets of your planets is very appealing because it's something you claimed and it's yours as long as the game runs, or until the game resets. There is one exception to this though, somebody or a clan could attack your planet and conquer it as their own, if your planet's defense isn't good enough. I see real estate planets closest to the center of the main world could be a bloodbath, and that could be quite interesting and fun. Of course planets near the center would have advertising benefits too as one who controls it who could possibly set a beacon for the world to see. Your point stats will get bigger or smaller due to the size of your empire that you own. I do see this module as being something of value of today, and for history's sake.

Overall summary in case some people who never heard of Galactic Empire; Galactic Empire is a game where you try to find and own as many planets as possible to build your empire up. Once you establish significant defenses or offenses, you can try to conquer/invade other peoples planets if you choose to. Population is the key to success.

Here is the original Introduction to the game;

" It is 3250 in the standard year, 975 years since man has developed
inter-planetary space navigation, and 412 years since neutron flux
warp technology was perfected by the ship builders of Zygor. They
currently lead the industry with the state of the art ships and
weapons systems.

These are good times where a commander with a good ship and some
business sense can make himself very very rich. Many of the planets
in the known universe are ideal for basing industries to supply the
demands of the interstellar fleet. These are also times when the less
scrupulous commanders can overrun a distant settlement and claim the
planet for his own. It is not a good idea to leave a distant
settlement unprotected and the Galactic Command (an ad hoc legal
body) recommends that commanders check up on their colonists
regularly.

Once you have secured your ship, it is yours to command and keep
maintained. The Zygorians will outfit you with enough supplies to get
you started but you will surely run out if you encounter any rouge
ships. The Galactic Command recommends you find and settle some
planets immediately to secure a supply source for your ship. Or you
can purchase supplies from other commanders with whom you have
established trade agreements.

The object of the game is to build and maintain as large an empire as
you can sustain, using any means you find appropriate. You can do
this by yourself or with a team of other players. Your System
Operator will inform you of the prizes and awards for becoming the
top player(s) in the game.

Good luck and beware the dreaded Cybertrons at all cost. "

Of course this module will be very similar to the original, and that's because I want it to come to life again. There will however be couple of new features added, such as the obvious Subspace navigation, a few extra toys your planet can produce for defense and offense. And perhaps a new introduction will be formed.

I'm only beginning to learn how to program, so don't expect a miracle from me biggrin.gif If you want to help or participate, then I encourage you to do so.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

to be continued...

Last edited by corvey on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Make sure specs can't see planets... it would kind of ruin it
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
Make sure specs can't see planets... it would kind of ruin it

I totally agree there. Here is a bigger concern for that issue, how to conceal a mapname.lvz / mapname.ini from being read. If somebody needed to scout out more planets, this could be used to find coordinates pretty easily.
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hmmm... can ASSS 'spawn' lvz images where it wants? Or generate lvz's in real-time or something...
Or you can have an objectID defined for EVERY possible location, and only activate the ones where the planets are.
like... you create a 'grid' of 256x256 mapobjects (considering the limit of objectID's), but they'd be all 'servercontrolled' and the ASSS module would only put on the ones you want it to. So even if a player opens the lvz, he would see 65000 planets, but 90% of them would be 'fake' , so it wouldn't help him

that would also allow you to keep the same object definitions for every 'galaxy', and just change the planets layout and image files
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
So even if a player opens the lvz, he would see 65000 planets, but 90% of them would be 'fake' , so it wouldn't help him

That's a very good idea.

Grelminar wrote:
A couple years ago, I made a proof-of-concept of more or less everything you want in this and the other thread: a way to join arenas to make an unlimited world, persistence of location so that players spawn in the same arena and location that they quit in, and preventing players from using ?go to go places they shouldn't be going. Also spectator mode was limited. I think I added PREENTERARENA for this purpose.

I'm not sure if the code still works, but it might be a good starting point: http://asss.yi.org/asss/files/m42.tar.gz
Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because I changed how persistent data works in python. You'll need to tweak that module slightly.

This is a quote from another thread so I thought I would consolidate, I hope you don't mind. Yes Grelminar, this is what I want! Any code you have like this is a big help. I'm trying to decipher anything I can from it and ASSS server code now.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Please don't do the grid idea. That's just horrible. Move the LVZ objects to where you want them with objmove.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't know about objmove... that's an ASSS only command right?
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's possible to do it with bots in subgame, but I don't think there's an actual command for it. Then again, I haven't used subgame in years, so I could be wrong.

Either way, this is an asss project.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Subgame doesn't like to handle/forward the packets, so it is flawed trying to use it and you'll only curse yourself if you try. ASSS is the only way to reliably move LVZ images around.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Custom Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 659 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.508501 seconds : 35 queries executed (93.3%): GZIP compression disabled