Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
How can I make arena field bigger?

View previous topic  spawn locatioins for players Post :: Post adding modules  View next topic  
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: How can I make arena field bigger? Reply to topic Reply with quote

How can I increase the dimensions of the arena?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
steigerwald
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If i think your asking the question I think you are, Its not possible. Subspace maps are only 1024x1024. No more.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can, however, decrease the size of the ships and their graphics, and all the other graphics, if you really need more room. It's not as good a solution, but it could work out.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
steigerwald
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate Dreams wrote:
You can, however, decrease the size of the ships and their graphics, and all the other graphics, if you really need more room. It's not as good a solution, but it could work out.
Nice idea, never though of that one. Would probably be very uncomfortable to play with though.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd probably never play there. But since the opposite managed to not destroy HyperSpace, apparently not everyone minds as much.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is no replacement for displacement.

If anyone knows how make the arena bigger by x and y, then I would appreciate some ideas on how to do it.

Thanks,
corvey
numpf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

can't
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you'd have to send people to another arena when they reach the border or something... with ASSS i could work...

but it would suck tongue.gif

so... basically... no you can't

why do you need that much space anyway? Even zones with hundreds of players can't fill all that space
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's a special mod I want to incorporate from a game that existed many years before Subspace even existed. I'm beginning to learn programming and want this game to learn from. I see it as this is a very friendly place to be and hopefully I can get good help and knowledge here.

I need the big playing area because places that need to be cannot be easily found. In sense, a euphoria of true space.

A. A Huge area to cover to find places will be more difficult.
B. 2-way wormholes
C. And your idea which has indeed already been thought about to be made so another map would be another galaxy from a previous map through a wormhole. If at all possible though, is to have one gigantic playing field.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1024x1024 is pretty huge already... with speeds a bit slow, and a high radar zoom.... you could pretty much fly for an hour before finding everything in the map (unless you fly in a super-methodic scan... but that's boring)

Galaxies would be cool, but you could still have multiple maps reprensenting "sectors" to make one big area... Like you could quickly move to other sectors, and you'd have these huge wormholes that link to other galaxies...

(Hm, is it possible to make players unable to ?go other arenas with ASSS?)
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:

(Hm, is it possible to make players unable to ?go other arenas with ASSS?)

Here's something Grelminar wrote, copied straight from the core module, where the Player Action callback is stored. This is the comment he left on the preenterarena action:

/** this is called at the earliest point after a player indicates an
** intention to enter an arena.
* you can use this for some questionable stuff, like redirecting
* the player to a different arena. but in general it's better to
* use PA_ENTERARENA for general stuff that should happen on
* entering arenas. */
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple years ago, I made a proof-of-concept of more or less everything you want in this and the other thread: a way to join arenas to make an unlimited world, persistence of location so that players spawn in the same arena and location that they quit in, and preventing players from using ?go to go places they shouldn't be going. Also spectator mode was limited. I think I added PREENTERARENA for this purpose.

I'm not sure if the code still works, but it might be a good starting point: http://asss.yi.org/asss/files/m42.tar.gz
Actually, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because I changed how persistent data works in python. You'll need to tweak that module slightly.

Btw, what game is your inspiration?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
corvey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:

Btw, what game is your inspiration?

I have answered your question here http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?p=70948#70948 Grelminar.

I think this location may now be more appropriate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 547 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.532483 seconds : 38 queries executed (80.1%): GZIP compression disabled