Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
LVZ Hell

View previous topic  .lvl map problems Post :: Post Sound ?  View next topic  
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: LVZ Hell Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never really messed with LVZs directly before and I'm starting to understand why others have said they're a bitch to work with.

I'm trying to create an image with some animation, but the documentation is horrible when it comes to this. The example.ini that comes with the LVZ toolkit states that in the .ini the frame display time is in 1/100th of a second when it actually seems to be milliseconds and the lvzformat states it's stored in the .lvz as 1/10th of a second as a signed integer (which is stupid as hell).

So what the hell? What is the actual datatype I'm working with? Is the frame display time upper bound 3276.7 seconds? If so, why isn't my frame display time of 10 minutes (600000) working? Does the Build executable store the time in a 16 bit field before converting it?

If there's some very clear documentation on the inner workings of this nonsense somewhere, I would appreciate being directed to it.

Thanks
-C
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, you think you are confused? I'm the one who figured out the LVZ format. Since Subspace mostly works in 1/100th of a second, I'm guessing Priit keep it that way so other people would feel more comfortable. Since LVZ files are proprietary to Continuum, how he built the insides doesn't really matter. I'm guessing he really want to compress the format as much as it could.

As for why it doesn't work if you are inbounds, use any tool to debuild the lvz file and see what that shows.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm starting to peice together what's actually happening...

-Animation time refers to the amount of time it takes to cycle through ALL frames in the animation, rather than just a single frame. That would be cool except it makes my values have to be that much larger.

-It is in 1/100th of a second -- which in itself makes sense considering how SS stores time settings. However, the format itself still changes this rather than using a larger [unsigned] datatype (which, again, seems like a very poor decision to me).

I'm sure what happened on my first attempt was a simple overflow, due to my misunderstanding of the animation time attribute. I guess for my 10 minute timer I'll have to have a bot synchronize the 10-minutes digit rather than letting the client run through an animation. Oh well.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a bit strange because the actual file stores display time in 1/10ths of a second but you enter it in with 1/100ths of a second. Animation time, on the other hand, is in 1/100ths in both.

Had you used X-Lvz Toolkit to create your lvz, it would have warned you if your animation time was too large to be encoded into a proper lvz file, or if your display time did not fall exactly on a 1/10th of a second. In any case, you can still use CLT for your animated lvz needs, just select animation when you import the image (unless you're making screenobjects, in which case you're screwed).
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use buildfile for most things simply because its quicker than:
right click -> open with... -> java

But I did try it with yours and the error is what sparked this post. A lot of things didn't make sense to me when I was reading the docs and what not.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can add Create Lvz into your .ini right click menu as such

by editing your registry as such

Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Done and done. Thank you, sir.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you're making an onscreen timer it's probably not a good idea to rely too much on lvz's animation feature. What if a player enters the arena after the lvz was toggled on? The digits would either be not shown or out of sync (this would happen with asss since it's currently impossible to disable automatic lvz state sending to entering players).
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

-nvm-
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Already tackled that one smong:

I've got 10 animated images containing the digits 0-9, each starting at a different number. Every 10 seconds, the bot will synchronize the timer images for players who have entered.

As for the 10 minute thing, every minute it'll resync the timer for all players to handle the issue presented in this post, as well as to account for any latency or other timing issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> LVZ/LVL Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 633 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.513348 seconds : 35 queries executed (80.4%): GZIP compression disabled