Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Update.exe for ASSS

View previous topic  Porting catid's biller to Linux w/ ASSS Post :: Post packet replay  View next topic  
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Update.exe for ASSS Reply to topic Reply with quote

[Instructions at the bottom of this post]

I made an update.exe for ASSS since there isn't one already added to the release. This one actually let's you download continuum 0.39 pr1 from a mirror that works. I'll supply the source code and an example file. (File attached at the bottom of this post.)

Code: Show/Hide

#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
   cout << "Your browser will launch and you will be sent to a continuum upgrade site." << endl;
   cout << "This window will close in 10 seconds of popping up." << endl;
   ShellExecute(NULL, "open", "http://bradav.freehostia.com/contupgrade.html",
                NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
   Sleep(10000);
   return 0;
}

If you think some other code would be better or something go ahead and make your own update.exe

1. Place update.exe in your ASSS folder under 'clients'. Do not rename this, you must have it named update.exe.
2. Try entering your ASSS zone with continuum 0.38 and watch what happens.

If you want to compile the code yourself (if you don't trust me), then compile it and follow the instructions above.

Hope this helps!

update.zip - 69.62 KB
File downloaded or viewed 48 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why in the world would you not use GetContinnum.com? It looks pretty and has extra information.

Simpler project (MSVC):
#include <windows.h>

#pragma comment (linker, "/subsystem:\"windows\" /entry:\"mainCRTStartup\"")

int main()
{
   ShellExecute(NULL, "open", "http://www.getcontinuum.com/", NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
}

The pragma disables showing a blank command prompt. Problem is that MSVC 6.0 won't get this under 32k (ugh). So, Dev-C++ with a Windows project:
#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hThisInstance,
                    HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
                    LPSTR lpszArgument,
                    int nFunsterStil)
{
   ShellExecute(NULL, "open", "http://www.getcontinuum.com/", NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
   return 0;
}

17.2k, a little better. Using upx on this got it to 15k, but I wouldn't trust that exe on all systems, so ignoring that.

A better option would be to have a program that actually would run a script to download the latest version, but this works just as well.

update.zip - 5.18 KB
File downloaded or viewed 53 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I knew my post would get 'junked', oh well.

Well, yeah, you should just have a .bat and wget do the work.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

'wget' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

not all computers have wget.

Actutally this update.exe opens up an interesting idea. i will think more.
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shaddap Brain, of course you'd have to include it.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How would you include it inside update.exe, exactly?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Self extracting executable. Would extract wget to temporary folder, call it with the correct url, then execute that installer. But doing this would be pretty blind to the user running the executable, so a better option would just be to have the executable download the file itself, or be a graphical interface for wget showing the current download speed/percentage.

The best option I can think of is to use Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, which can create a tiny web install application. NSIS only has 34k overhead, which means the update.exe will still be tiny.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually, I was talking about a .bat. By "including" I meant including wget in the ASSS distribution.

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
A better option would be to have a program that actually would run a script to download the latest version, but this works just as well.

Solo Ace wrote:
Well, yeah, you should just have a .bat and wget do the work.

Dr Brain wrote:
'wget' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Doc Flabby wrote:
not all computers have wget.

Solo Ace wrote:
Shaddap Brain, of course you'd have to include it.

Dr Brain wrote:
How would you include it inside update.exe, exactly?

In a .bat you mean? You wouldn't, you'd include it in the asss distrubution, next to the .bat.
Otherwise, if in an .exe, I'd probably do it the way MGB just posted about.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Including it with asss wouldn't help the client that's trying to update continuum.
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh is that the purpose of this? biggrin.gif Oops. icon_smile.gif
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Once I tried to make one of those self extracting zipfiles, I got a bit bogged down with trying to get colors.bm2 to go into the correct folder. I also spent a while trying to find one that didn't have an interactive element.

Anyway, I would have thought it would be better to be redirected to a download than to do it through the server. It also gives the player more control/choice.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be tricky to modify a running process? Or are we assuming they would have to restart the program before entering the zone.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think cont executes update.exe and quits at the same time. Anyway I probably left the name of the new exe as continuum39pr1.exe or something so never ran into that issue, not very good for a seamless upgrade I must admit.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can u get continuum to prompt to update even if its version is the latest already (0.39pr1) ?
-Smong-

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Probably, but it'd get annoying everytime you enter the zone, people will start to ignore it.
Quan Chi2
Member of "Sexy Teenagers that Code" Group
Member of

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

D1st0rt wrote:
Wouldn't it be tricky to modify a running process?

I guess you could use FindWindow(), WriteProcessMemory(). Of course, those functions take temporary effect on the process targeted.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Custom Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 654 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.655201 seconds : 44 queries executed (78.9%): GZIP compression disabled