Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Server Release and Equations

View previous topic  Bout the new Website that i heard of Post :: Post Maps  View next topic  
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Server Release and Equations Reply to topic Reply with quote

will the new realease of continuum server change the server.cfg in any dramatic way as in key names, etc that may change the current values..?

and also... does anyone know where i could find the exact equations for some of the game physics, IE wall bounce factor equation, thrust, rotation... i relize that these are pretty specific, but rough approximations would be useful...im building a server cfg editor with lots more support/features and id like to include a "virtual physics environment" or something high and bloated like that... anyway... if there is somewhere to get these eqs outside of template.sss id like to know...

and just to check... keys in server.cfg are not order specific.... im pretty sure, but ill check.... is there a standard? i know FACTS can save CFGs so ill probably use whatever format that is... but im not sure if that aligns with the original SVS.cfg
thanks always

Thanks always... :P
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As for .cfg files: no, you can use them, but i wouldn't suggest it. The new software will "try" to work with old .cfg settings, but the idea is that everything will be re-organized. Since your a programmer, you should understand how a #include will work, and how you can re-organize a .cfg (to be renamed .conf) by spliting files appeart.

As for the rough guesses: i used to know them all, but i forget, so here is how you try. Take a guess, and try it. Take it under the understanding that rotation is 40 images, so set the rotation to 40, and use a stopwatch to see how long it takes to rotate completely. Repeat for speed (map is 16384 pixels sides), acceleration, etc.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Cyanide63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When is the new server software supposed to be out anyways!!!!!!! I kinda cant wait for it..........HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When the three spirits are aligned icon_twisted.gif
-"l33t h41ku"
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

laff icon_lol.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Server Release and Equations Reply to topic Reply with quote

Helicon wrote:
and just to check... keys in server.cfg are not order specific.... im pretty sure, but ill check.... is there a standard? i know FACTS can save CFGs so ill probably use whatever format that is... but im not sure if that aligns with the original SVS.cfg
thanks always

No, the keys can be in any random order, just as long as they are all under the same [Header]. For the vie subgame, i believe it will attempt to find the first value of it, while the new subgame will find the last.

Example:
Code: Show/Hide
[Warbird]
SuperTime=4000
ShieldsTime=2500
Gravity=1500
GravityTopSpeed=250
ShieldsTime=1

The VIE server should pick the ShieldsTime as 2500, while the new server will get it as 1.

A recommendation for ordering: Try to keep them paired up with similar things. Like keep all the speed, recharge, etc in a section.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: much appreciation Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks very much... i dont, however, think that ill be stopwatching much of anything... i guess i should be talking to the client programmers... i suppose, also that i will wait to build this thing... better to wait and stay on top... than to do well late... it would also be useful to get a hold of the actual settings config file import code for the server, of course, that is complete charity....
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The "import code" from the server is simple to describle. Just call a function, asking which arena setting to check (or to check the "server.ini"), and asks for the header and key (ie: Warbird:MaxGuns). As for how it finds it?

From the main config file, goes line by line. If it hits a #include, jumps to that file, and goes line by line. Whenever it finds a line under the header it is looking for (ie: [Warbird]) and the line starts with the key (ie: MaxGuns=1), it stores that value, and keeps looking. If it finds another line with same header and key, stores that value instead. Once it ends all the files, the function returns the stored value.

Also if you want to do some more advanced stuff, it may/will support #define and #if's, though i doubt that would be useful for a program that creates the files, but more for the manual editors out there.

As for how the server interprets the values, it really doesn't care too much about ship settings. It just forwards what it reads over in the settings packet, and the client figures it out. For the server-side settings, each module does with whatever settings it needs how it needs. When it gets closer to release time, i maybe able to talk with you about how the new server deals with different server-side settings (like the flag modes are changed around a lot), but it won't mean much.

For contacting the client programmer: Good luck, you'll need lots of it. Best to whip out a stopwatch and/or take a guess.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:

For contacting the client programmer: Good luck, you'll need lots of it. Best to whip out a stopwatch and/or take a guess.

Thats what i figured... btw, who is it....im still not sure who is doing all this work (dumb post-VIE newbie, i know). I guess it really all comes down to when the release happens that we all scramble to miz up new tools... and figure the damn thing out... good look MGB... that'll be a good load of work
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="Helicon"][quote="Mine GO BOOM"]
im still not sure who is doing all this work (dumb post-VIE newbie, i know)[/quote]

Priit Kasesalu (aka PriitK). Don't bother ?find or ?message for him, be almost impossible to get ahold of him. Ever on the council, usually takes a good month for a responce.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:

Priit Kasesalu (aka PriitK). Don't bother ?find or ?message for him, be almost impossible to get ahold of him. Ever on the council, usually takes a good month for a responce.

i was aware of Priitk, but so far as i can remember the COUNCIL was more like a suggestion committee...
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just call him icon_wink.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 660 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.450854 seconds : 37 queries executed (93.6%): GZIP compression disabled