Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
ssc ops..

View previous topic  Lord Tsura Post :: Post Aswz  View next topic  
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:52 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: ssc ops.. Reply to topic Reply with quote

In reply to http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?t=98

Or just be a staff that licked nuff ass to the sysop on a zone that get on SSC, then the sysop will also give ya lower biller op.
And voila - every 3rd newb got BanG.
Why, just in extreme games alone...

Just like getting on SSC, just like getting on staff, just like getting a sysop, it's all a matter of ass kissing to the right ppl and getting on the right squads and chats.

Again, look at SSX.
Harloch used to socialize with the others in the SSC.
So even harloch left SS ages ago, his zeta squad ppl running the show at EG & SWZ.
Ya got pointman making sysop, a dumb newb.
Ya got pointman banning zennor (one THE oldest players, good decent grown up, respected, and been mod on EG before pointman was even born), and etc. shit.
Ya got pointman with BanG access that can make network ban.
Ya got pointman giving BanG to every other smod and second mod in EG.
Does that sounds good? well that's SSC for ya.
Scratch back, and we ignore it all.

Sure, in VIE times it will be pointman who gets banned because zennor is a friend of Jeff.
But, when it comes to it, I trust zennor's and not to mention Jeff's judgement as far as banning ppl and as for the betterment of SS than I would the likes of pointman.

I bet I stepped on many toes here, but heck, I got too pissed to be proffesional.
Maybe hmm I got a better idea, I'll link it to trash talk.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:51 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: ick Reply to topic Reply with quote

this is the internet, and unfortunately its run by adolescents... snivelling, hormonal, power ungry, girl-less geeks. eventually, though, the power falls to those who can handle the dirty stuff... the coders, developers, the graphics guys(yeah even them... thing WHS) . we cant forget the dutiful playes...boy what it was like to be one of THEM! so we got morons with BanG (toes already wounded, they aint going to show up anyway)... there are ways to beat that. There are always ways to get around it... we have to keep pushing forward... eventually everything comes around... the game keeps playing, SYSOPS suck, so what, the kids keep playing, everyone keeps playing.... the circle keeps turning... so what, so what...

its only a game...its only our game... we can only keep playing...isnt that why were here?

check it out:
"Knowledge is ultimacy. We are knowledgeable, thus, we are supreme!"
- Ori"Gravitron"Klein

kind of reflective aint it?
Cyanide63

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:31 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
this is the internet, and unfortunately its run by adolescents... snivelling, hormonal, power ungry, girl-less geeks.

WTF r u talking bout................i am not at all what u say and I am 16. I am nothing of what you say!!!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:00 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually the game is dying.
With each cycle less people play.
More people get tired, worn out, pissed, banned, abused, whatever and leave.
And the SSC made sure to supress/kill any attempts of competition to stand on its own so once the SSC stopped paying interest to SS (AFAIK GS is the only one I belive that's so inlove in SS that he's still very enfusiastic&active in trying to get something done on his IRL time expense) there's no progress being made any more and SS keep standing in the same place.
Exclude continuum, no more good new zones, no more big events like the old slayfests, the SS community is divided by zones to sub communities that have no knowing of each other, while under VIE even if you played WZ and yr friend played JP you would always meet to fight in the general discussion or trash talk lounge.
SS always lived on mouth2ear word, no advertisments, and being a 95/6' 2D arcade isn't much in its merit (that is if you were to look for a game to play and ya read "SubSpace : 2D Arcade" and then you will read "Earth&Beyond uber 3D MMORPG") so getting more players is hard.
Those I reffer to as newbies are people who are playing 2-3 years already (post-vie newbs hehe biggrin.gif), really new players are somewhat rare.

As for my quote, instead of quoting nitzche, edmund burk, apollo or whoever I preffered to think up my own words of wisdom, and I like it quite well at that.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Siaon
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:41 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lots of ex-infantry people should have given the population a boost me thinks
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:33 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ex-Infantry not nessecarily like subspace.
And many ex-infantry vets went with harloch to StarWars Galaxies.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:30 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: subspace Reply to topic Reply with quote

the question then is what to do... its on our shoulders... without support... with such factionalism (forgive me a smart-ass term)... the dev community needs to give the game a kick in the pants... the only way a hijacked community like this can survive is with that "enthusiasm" you talked about... where has it all gone?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
reel bad
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:11 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

helicon:

http://www.subspace.net/fanfic/lotr.shtml

without PriitK's next release, we are (mostly) powerless.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 2:19 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Other than MGB, catid&coco were the only ones good enough to mess with SS.
But since the SSC shunned them out and GS dun let anyone but priitk, I don't see anything happening to SS unless priitk care enough to do anything for it.
Once again, the SSC has managed to further the demise of SS by their desire to keep everything under their thumb.

http://www.subspace.net/fanfic/lotr.shtml = HAR!
Funny fanfic, it has some good anacdotes.
But there's so much more, oh, so much more.
The history of SubSpace, and mainly, the history of the SSC who acted so influencly on the history of SS, is so full of deciet and yearn for power...
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:07 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what did you expect... a veritable national junior honor society of subspace sysops? i cant believe that anyone couldnt see this coming
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:42 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Council is not necessary anymore. That is why. Was it ever necessary? I think that is agreed upon without any doubt by anyone who has any first hand information on playing for the past 6 or so years.

The Billing Server called SSC (though I refer to it as SSC*), is running pretty smoothly. It controls itself through a strict hierarchy at the top, and spread out through the bottom. It is authoratative, like it should be, and self-perpetuating like any organization. The only problem is the rule that there are no copies of zones allowed, which rules out splitting up zones based on the server banks.

Zones are factionalized, as said before. More so then any time before the SSC, zones have spread out wide and far in the spectrum of Subspace originality. Besides, SSC, there are now a few more billers. These have strengthened from their once weak position. Bots have proliferated everywhere for the use of most every zone (this is a good thing thanks to the open bot coders). Zones are so differentiated the only thing that is keeping them together is the name database.

I guess that boils down to one point. SSC* is only together because of a few reasons. That of a consist name database, and vague considerations from an outdated Advisary board to stay together. The first is by far the most important, and probably really only important reason why SSC* still exists today. This is also a reason of the SSC* strive for dominance in the community as the spearhead of Continuum (and the death of Subspace).

The hidden developers of the community are probably the only ones left who can provide any real changes. I think Grav is correct in pointing this out for the above reasons, and I agree that the community is somewhat undermined and hindered by the continued existence of the SSC. I don't see any other options at the moment.

Trying to consolidate more web sites into bigger bases of the community is a good step. sscentral.com is trying to do this, but lacks any higher support. It is also, probably, ill-equipped to be the successor to any good site. subspace.net will never become this either. The merger called SSHQ was this, but it fell to a bad layout, non-updated forums and news, and non-participation by some key members. It however, still remained as a big center for downloading Continuum. subspacedownload.com will never become a good download site as it tries to envelope the entiriety of Subspace/Continuum downloads within itself. This is too big of a task for its staff.

I place the slight decrease in new population influx at the current status of community web sites. No official site of the SSC* (there's the SSCU website but that's kind of wierd). The merger site SSHQ is down. No good options for anyone to suceed in either places.

I guess running a zone site, it may be said that I am also a part of the problem. However, I have tried to be as minimalistic and non-expansive as possible so that "main" sites can still operate effectively.

Those are basically my thoughts, somewhat a trashtalk of the SSC*, SSC, and state of web sites atm.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:26 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Futures and pasts Reply to topic Reply with quote

i88gerbils wrote:
The Council is not necessary anymore. That is why. Was it ever necessary? I think that is agreed upon without any doubt by anyone who has any first hand information on playing for the past 6 or so years.

and I agree that the community is somewhat undermined and hindered by the continued existence of the SSC. I don't see any other options at the moment.

Trying to consolidate more web sites into bigger bases of the community is a good step.

I place the slight decrease in new population influx at the current status of community web sites. No official site of the SSC* (there's the SSCU website but that's kind of wierd).

I guess running a zone site, it may be said that I am also a part of the problem. However, I have tried to be as minimalistic and non-expansive as possible so that "main" sites can still operate effectively.

i can understand why you feel no Council is necessary, as they were mostly defunct from the start... but i think that SOME group is necessary, as the recognised head. VIE never had problems with server admin BANNING each other.... there has to be a focussed point of authority, wherever that comes from , or this is adolescent anarchy.

the problem of the "options" against SSC : the fact of the matter from where im standing is that "power" in this game is completely derived from the number of people who ACTUALLY COME AND PLAY. if ssc had 2 people log on every day no one would give a damn. a great new zone could trigger this. if a new zone became the spearhead, whats to stop SSC from crumbling away?... but thats not so simple is it?... but possible, nonetheless

your "consolidation" is an intereseting point. all good games have their websites. having such a scattered audience is difficult. i for one am a member of 3 boards, each subspace related, that i frequent, and that does say something.

a fact that i think needs to be remembered is that one does not have to have 100 players online to host a continuum download... any site can do that, not just SSC or central or downloads... however, the big download portals need SOMEWHERE to point, don't they? what i think we need to boost is not a really awesome, consolidated community site, but a really nice, consolidated advertisement site... the next version of continuum is a great opportunity to do this.

i dont understand how you could see yourself as "part of the problem". i can see very few ways that any subspace site could detract from the commubity (there are a few infamous examples). the fact that someone may ACCIDENTALLY hit your site is a bonus... but every sheep needs a shepherd and every president a publicist... there IS NO "subspace central" per se, and that is a big problem , i think
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:06 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have no idea what is GS's "major malefunction", he never seemed to be one of misjudgement and malice.
But, they say that power corrupts, and maybe GS has become so and now will refuse to reliquish that power and will do anything to preserve it.
Or it can be a more psychological penned matter.
People tend to seek control over their lives.
Whence one cannot control one's life, one turn to control online spheres/worlds under one's influence.
It could be that in his fear of losing control of SS, lest it dies out without his guidance, and being so determined in this conviction he has closed the loop so tight on SS's neck that he unintentionally and unknowingly, single handedly, bringing forth the end of SubSpace.
But although GS being the head, he's not the sole bearer to the blame of the body.
The SSCouncil is full of with people, who are not mature in mind nor posses decent values.
And the SSCentral biller access is granted to many who are not only that, but are inexperienced as well.
Most certainly, those little crooks aren't going to step down or hear anyone tell them to do anything different than keep their little dictatorship (you wouldn't expect Capone to drop the gangbuiss and turn all his operations legit under honest ppl wud ya).
The council was starting good, when it begun by Baudchaser, it had good respectable motives and honorable goals.
But since then Baud had left and it has been invaded by people who should not be there, people who were brought in by their already-members friends, or people that were successors of ex-members that jumped in to fill their spot and really aren't worthy of it.
Since then, it started accumulating obscene amounts of backscratching, blind-eye turning and excessive general corruption and twisting.
All in all, it had become one major cesspool, and without some major resources (begining with the player community stops ignoring and being apathic to the surrounding and demanding their rights by the collective power they have), there really isn't much chance of any change happening and we'll just be forced to watch how the SSC moves in stronger than ever on SS with continuedshit and killing anything in its path.

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:22 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, i have started work on a biller.

This biller, known as "Unity" is based on Catid's Biller, with serveral improvments that will remain undisclosed at this time (in case some never come into being). Unity's aim is to unite all the small hosts under one biller. This, in my opinion will significantly help the SS comunity by de-fragmenting the small hosts, while allowing them to continue hosting independently.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:

"All that is needed for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

since were playing with quotes

QUOTATION: Progress is the injustice each generation commits with regard to its predecessors.
ATTRIBUTION: E.M. Cioran (b. 1911), Romanian?born French philosopher. The Trouble with Being Born, ch. 8 (1973).

and what are we doing, whining and doing nothing

QUOTATION:Progress will always have as its recourse to exaggerate what it cannot surpass. ATTRIBUTION:Franz Grillparzer (1791?1872), Austrian author. ?Progress,? Poems (1868).

SSC, the instoppable god...? theyre a bunch of kids, for christ's sake!

QUOTATION:Progress and reaction have both turned out to be swindles. Seemingly, there is nothing left but quietism?robbing reality of its terrors by simply submitting to it. ATTRIBUTION:George Orwell (1903?1950), British author. ?Inside the Whale,? Inside the Whale and Other Essays (1940).

god damn... perhpas all we can do is nothing

they're a clan of shits, so lets DO SOMETHING, eh? we can just sit here, and let it all happen, or we can just go out and goddam FIX the stupid thing
reel bad
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Helicon wrote:

SSC, the instoppable god...? theyre a bunch of kids, for christ's sake!

they're a clan of shits, so lets DO SOMETHING, eh? we can just sit here, and let it all happen, or we can just go out and goddam FIX the stupid thing

Hear, hear. I don't see the SSC having all that much control over subspace any more. I really feel it's a dictatorship of PriitK, and that he is fair in his judgements. The real problem is that those in power are not always as benevolent (or as uninvolved, heh) as Priit. I think a lot of people are in it for the power and the opportunity of its abuse. Which brings me to my last point: ironically, money may be the best way to solve the corruption problem. What if Continuum used, say, a system akin to that of battle.net, where you log on and see ads, and can chat, but once you go into a game, the ads are gone. If we do it right we can actually make click-money off of subspace with which we can pay for development, administration, and hosting. I guess the problem still remains, however: who ultimately controls the money? Just a wild thought I had. The current situation is like communism: nice in theory, but people are still people, and ultimately are corrupt. So unless they have something nice to chase after (like money) they will go after power.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:00 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh oh oh! I got a good one

If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
-Mine GO BOOM

As for the ads method. Little hard to make money off clicking things. People are wanting lvz ads that can be clicked, and they already look butt-ugly in most zones. I don't want to see a 700x800 image of five people's names who had no life and played their zone constantly everytime i enter for 5 mins straight, which is why i made my own personally lvz hack. Ahh.. never have to see shitty lvzs that i don't want to (except for the first time until i patch to 'fix' their new changes). No, don't ask how. I enjoy breaking things.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:20 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

personally, mine is:
If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:00 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Most of them are a bunch of kids.
But xalimar isn't, GS isn't, and maybe, just maybe BDvine isn't either.

"Progress is the injustice each generation commits with regard to its predecessors."
That's the crime of continuedshit to SubSpace.
And the rob of credits from Jeff, Rod & Juan.

"Progress will always have as its recourse to exaggerate what it cannot surpass."
You want the SSC down?
Bring me programmers, bring me good dedicated T3+ servers.
SSCU = Sonera - ISP, SSCE/SSCX = Exodus - Major ISP.
Think you can compete with that?
Exaguration? I think not, we are at an inferior starting point.

MGB, start fixing the SSC, har.

gemini dream used to have a beautiful ad banner for his WLI/USD network, and even it was only in 256 it looked like 16bit, it was in the normal ad size restrictions, not some 700x800 lol, the dude who made it was truly talented.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:08 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
You want the SSC down?
Bring me programmers, bring me good dedicated T3+ servers.

no i dont want SSC DOWN, maybe not so powerful, so controlling, so darn government-like, the like (kind of like Michael Jordan to basketball, he made too big an impact to find the pieces)

by the way, even if i DID want SSC down that doesn't mean i would particularly want YOU PERSONALLY for the job.... none of us are "qualified". that seems to be the problem, this was supposed to be done by a COMPANY, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 656 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.640887 seconds : 45 queries executed (73.2%): GZIP compression disabled