Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
TCP/IP over Java

View previous topic  Protocol Outline Post :: Post Docu  View next topic  
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: TCP/IP over Java Reply to topic Reply with quote

MGB EDIT: Split from Chatnut Client

Will you be releasing the source code?
(I've been working with bridge.dll and it has a similar protocol, but TCP is so much more complicated than UDP in Java since it's a stream and not a packet.)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

TCP is hard in Java?! I specifically made it simple text over TCP so that it's easy to deal with. Just make a BufferedReader from an InputStreamReader from the socket input stream and call readLine() on it, then use String.split (the two-arg version, so you can specify a limit). Easy. Requires 1.4.1, but that's been out for a while.

Ok, I made both protocols use the same arena name limitations.

I'm not sure what you mean by "team" vs. "freq" chats. Do you mean your own team vs. an enemy team? I wasn't sure which way to go on that.. I think the current way (having them be the same) in the protocol makes the protocol and server simple but might require additional work on the client. But it's really not very much more work, so I think I'm going to keep it.

The protocol, or at least the current impl. certainly needs more work, though: private freqs aren't currently hidden, and I don't think the server supports chat clients changing freq at all. All the ideas I've heard for how to handle private freqs sound hacky to me, so I'm in favor of not handling them. That is, all freq numbers get sent as they are, and everyone knows all freq numbers. Don't worry; this isn't as bad as it sounds: The freqowners module already allows people to kick unwanted people off of their priv freqs, and I'd like to write a password-protected freq system eventually so unwanted people can't even get on in the first place. Comments appreciated on all this.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:
TCP is hard in Java?! I specifically made it simple text over TCP so that it's easy to deal with. Just make a BufferedReader from an InputStreamReader from the socket input stream and call readLine() on it, then use String.split (the two-arg version, so you can specify a limit). Easy. Requires 1.4.1, but that's been out for a while.

The Connection was REALLY easy. Smong, what do you mean? Are you afraid of streams or something?

Quote:

Ok, I made both protocols use the same arena name limitations.

Ok, good

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "team" vs. "freq" chats. Do you mean your own team vs. an enemy team? I wasn't sure which way to go on that.. I think the current way (having them be the same) in the protocol makes the protocol and server simple but might require additional work on the client. But it's really not very much more work, so I think I'm going to keep it.

Ok, just a suggestion.

Quote:

The protocol, or at least the current impl. certainly needs more work, though: private freqs aren't currently hidden, and I don't think the server supports chat clients changing freq at all. All the ideas I've heard for how to handle private freqs sound hacky to me, so I'm in favor of not handling them. That is, all freq numbers get sent as they are, and everyone knows all freq numbers. Don't worry; this isn't as bad as it sounds: The freqowners module already allows people to kick unwanted people off of their priv freqs, and I'd like to write a password-protected freq system eventually so unwanted people can't even get on in the first place. Comments appreciated on all this.

There are several things that don't work. Ship status updates are never sent...

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:
Requires 1.4.1

bleh, how big is the download for windows?

I went here http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/networking/sockets/readingWriting.html and added to the example making a bridge.dll communicator. After giving up with the BufferedReader and readLine() (the connection just ignored me after the first message) I opted for InputStream and read() in an attempt to handle cluster messages, but this came with its own problems, e.g. after so many messages have been received I get an array overflow even though I told it to write to the beginning of the array!!

Example cluster message:
Code: Show/Hide

TEAM:Smong:A1> Attach to defendTEAM:Smong:A1> Attach to attackARENA:Gotcha..

Overflow problem: (after 1024 chars have been received, of course)
Code: Show/Hide

byte[] dataB = new byte[1024];
recv.read(dataB, len, newLen); //recv is the InputStream
data = new String(dataB, 0, newLen);

100% frustration in a zip file
(Two attempts at TCP in Java targetted at bridge.dll)

blah.zip - 10.13 KB
File downloaded or viewed 61 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, im afraid I didn't look that hard at your code, but instead Im posting my ChatConnection class for you to adapt, shoudn't be too hard, just remove the chat specific functions and add your own.

BTW: Single line {s are a lot easier to read, but whatever floats your boat...

I realize that this isn't great code ATM, the intface should really be a Vector of interfaces, and the ChatConnection class should really extend a super Connection class.

connect.txt - 5.01 KB
File downloaded or viewed 93 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

By adapting my bridge.dll communicator for Chatnet succesfully I've come to the conclusion that bridge.dll uses some different code to ASSS which makes it not work with Java's readLine() (at least 1.3.1 anyway).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Custom Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 655 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.421852 seconds : 33 queries executed (92.9%): GZIP compression disabled