Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Continuum Game Development -- OpenGL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic  Remote Biller Connection Post :: Post Help me with Billing, im beginner  View next topic  
elux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Continuum Game Development -- OpenGL Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get a hold of Continuum developers. I'd like to port the game (client) to SDL/OpenGL for cross platform support on Linux/OSX (windows as well of course).

Thanks.

Peter
EdTheInvincible
Bumper? on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The developers probably wont give you the source code, so in my opinion, you won't be able to port it.
50% Packetloss
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why is it that every time I give someone an answer to thier question on forumhq.com, they come here and ask the same question expecting a different answer.
EdTheInvincible
Bumper? on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last time they asked here first.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Only 1 Cont developer even reads this forum, and I don't have any of the graphics portion of the code.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, the others stay elsewhere.

(There's only 1 more.)
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does it use DirectDraw currently?

Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes. DirectDraw 2.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
elux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know what guys .. have it your way. Continuum is no one's to own. In my opinion it should be released under the GPL for free use. I have been playing Subspace since 1994 when Virgin first released it. A lot of work has been put into developing the community and if you'd like to keep the game in limbo that is your choice.

With the source code or not, I will create a game very similar. It may not use the same protocols, however will look and feel identical, if not better.

Btw, will be released under the GPL and cross-platform compatible.

Peter
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go for it... we'll adapt ASSS to let your protocol and youll be able to play with Continuum clients without a hitch.

Don't say it should be released under GPL, as that's the developers choice, not your's or the community's. There are lots of security issues involved in an open source client, and although forcing people to use assembly isn't true security, it's much harder to do what you want working in assembly.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1. If you GPL the game, it will get hacked/cheated to bits.

2. Don't use VIE protocol for a new game. Make a good one. icon_smile.gif
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter, I wish you best of fortune and please stay in touch (ICQ me).
And while at it, make something better and not as limited as continuum client/subspace as a whole.
Aim more towards Infantry engine, or even better (at least graphically).

I have already seen many freeplay one-man projects out there with a far more customizeable gameplay engine than SS as well as a much more eye-attracting graphic engine.
The only problem was that they were singleplayer.
But since there is ASSS, all is lacking is the introduction of client-side networking to them and ASSS could be modified to run their games (so you have a premade server and don't need to do much work on that front).

And don't let these people discourage you, their emotional fear of cheating-will-kill-my-game surpass their ability to reason logically.

As for continuum, Priit would not release source for it, ever.
For one, as said (by him, or as we been told by those close to him to be his claims), he fears cheating, IMO too much.
For two, he most likely keep the option of trying to sell it to someone (if he had not already signed it over to BDE/sherman/alt-net) or build something out of it in the future.

Once again, good luck Peter, make us proud.

Don't use continuum protocol, make a better one.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Continuum _is_ someone's to own - SubSpace, however, is not (unless you're being technical).

...but, really, make one from scratch to work with ASSS - Continuum is just hacked SubSpace. icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have created a team of 3 developers ready to begin this project with me.

I will keep you guys posted. I have still not decided whether or not I want to release it under the GPL. If I do, I intend to add a lot of anti-cheat protection on the server side.

By the way, I have not yet looked at ASSS, is the code open? does the server only run on windows? Thanks

Peter
myke
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://sscx.net/asss asss was originally made for linux but it was created for windows too at first by catid a seperate person but the original creator made a windows version and yeah it's open source
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

myke wrote:
http://sscx.net/asss asss was originally made for linux but it was created for windows too at first by catid a seperate person but the original creator made a windows version and yeah it's open source

It was originally ported to Windows by myself and Grelminar. Divine.216 later help clean up the code a bit more. Catid later made binaries more often, as I was going through a lot of school work at the time and wasn't able to keep up as often as I'd like. He also added in a lot of other little patches and extras, some of which Grelminar has added back into the main build for ASSS.

Grelminar has always been trying to be able to release his own Windows builds, but hasn't always had the time to try and figure it out.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
myke
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh :X yeah i don't pay attention to much stuff lol
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
If I do, I intend to add a lot of anti-cheat protection on the server side.

Please be aware that any server-side cheat protection will either be very complex or useless. That is, unless you essentially have the server "playing" for every player, it won't be able to detect subtle things like slightly off position packets, too-fast weapon packets, or the famous Twister wrong prize thing.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And if you play for every player, then the server would be something like 100 times more CPU intensive than a running copy of continuum for something like TW.

That figure is assuming that the server can play 5 players in the same amount of CPU time that it takes Cont to play 1. If you do a bad job, then of course, it wont even be that efficient.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Implement something like punkbuster (http://www.punkbuster.org/). Of course PB isnt free, but this is the type of thing youd want to do. And if anyone disagrees, I hate you.
50% Packetloss
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Punkbuster doesn't work, people get around it all the time in America's Army.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everything comes down to 1's and 0's. And with that reason, anything you do with a compute can be undone (essentially).
myke
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

there's a game called risk your life and it has "hack protection" but people use speeders all the time(they level your character up while you're afk and whatnot) and the hack protection program runs on your computer and you can't play if you turn it off
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone else getting a distinctly Qndre odor in here? grav_cry.gif
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Aww come on, Ekted, it's not that bad yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 662 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.551718 seconds : 50 queries executed (92.7%): GZIP compression disabled