Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
How to Start hosting

View previous topic  GCS Hosting Post :: Post hosting question  View next topic  
Ic3bud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: How to Start hosting Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok ive seen that there are too many zones than servers so i would like to start my own hosting service.. i am willing to pay some money if i need to buy a website or anything, but 1 thing i dont know how to, is do it all! lol

So can someone please tell me howto start hosting WITHOUT leaving my computer on 24/7, or just referre me to a tutorial if u know 1.

cheers biggrin.gif
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Start hosting Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ic3bud wrote:
WITHOUT leaving my computer on 24/7

Not possible, a computer running the zone software must be on for people to play in it. This is all hosts are, computers running your zone.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

keep in mind, webistes dont host zones, they dont run programs, which is what hosts have to do...
Ic3bud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

can you do this on a dedicated root server though?
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ic3bud wrote:
can you do this on a dedicated root server though?

root server? IE:
webopedia.com wrote:

root server system
Last modified: Monday, June 24, 2002

A system of 13 file servers that are distributed around the globe and contain authoritative databases that form a master list of all top-level domain names (TLDs). There is one central, or "A", server that replicates changes to the other servers on a daily basis. Different organizations maintain the servers on the root server system. The U.S. government plays a role in maintaining about half of the servers.

thats scary.. more clarification please!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Ic3bud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No i mean:

Quote:
Control your dedicated server using the administrative software and server application of your choice. You have full access to the hardware and full control. We recommend the Root Server for technically adept people seeking the advantage of this approach.

im guess this would work? please opinions Mine GO BOOM?
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If it is running Micro$oft Winblows it should work fine.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fuzzjdc
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Helicon wrote:
keep in mind, webistes dont host zones, they dont run programs, which is what hosts have to do...

what runs the web server if they don't run programs???

its possiable to run a zone on a web server but DONT try it, DONT try it, web servers lack the protection that a zone needs
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

web servers are just regular computers that are always on and host files that can be downloaded from the server... true, they do run some kind of software to share this information, but if you sign up for a webpage they are going to give you space and the utilities necessary for someone to download it from the server... unless you personally own the server and can go and sit at it and run programs from it, etc, or you use your pc (with the correct spex) to run a subspace server youre not going to be able to run the 1+ applications necessary to host a subspace zone.

root server... i dont know what you mean... if you mean a home webpage program where your computer hosts a webpage and its data and allows pother users of the internet to download it, no, but you CAN use that machine to run the necessary programs for a zone, though most pc's dont have the spex (as i said before) to maintain sufficient bandwidth. poeple do this all the time for testing... just 3 or 4 people... or a few more

a subspace host is just a server dedicated to running several zones and usually their biller... thats what it is
Ic3bud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
a subspace host is just a server dedicated to running several zones and usually their biller... thats what it is

ok lemme just ask this... the dedicated server, you mean their home computer that is left on 24/7 ? or have they bought 1 like i was asking?

i still dont understand that 1 thing
ALTEC .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ic3...

A server (which runs the game), runs as many zones as you want (or handle), 24/7. But the line (connection) must be very fast, a T3 connection is recomended for alot of zones. Yes in order for the zone to stay up, the server(or computer), must be running all the time.

Technically you can host a zone on a webserver but, as mentioned before, its not secure and webserver lines aren't usually fast enugh to handle the amount of ppl needed.

Drop me a line on AIM (ALTECSS) or ICQ 18080651 if you want.

ALTEC .
SSWC/SSCW Netop
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Fuzzjdc
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ALTEC . wrote:
its not secure and webserver lines aren't usually fast enugh to handle the amount of ppl needed.

Webserver lines are fast enough, they are T3 or better depends on the people running the Webserver.

(ALTEC. refered to my post earlier)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Most webservers will refuse to run any program for you.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
ExplodyThingy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
ok lemme just ask this... the dedicated server, you mean their home computer that is left on 24/7 ? or have they bought 1 like i was asking?

It seems like your asking, what exactly is a dedicated server. A dedicated subspace server is any computer that runs subgame.exe and/or subbill.exe, and does that and only that all the time.
It doesnt need to be those fancy-shmancy things you see in pictures or movies that are real sleek looking, very expensive, and exceptionally powerful. Just a desktop pc will do fine for a smaller zone.

Dr Brain> I hate clean air and clean water. I'm a member of Evil Conservitive Industries
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Ic3bud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok... so dedicated servers i know now WILL host a zone, but they are way expensive!

As i have 56k and a family computer i cannot host on my computer... which brings me to my next point, can i host on Webhosting? u know where u upload your website files? will that work running a subbill?
Cyanide63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No........you need a dedicated server to be able to run a zone or network of zones. Anything that has to do with websites in any way is not close to what a dedicated server is. You can get a dedicated server to host zones for probably about $150 bucks a month if you search the web for a few hours. A good host with good connections like OC-12 is going to cost you about $500 a month to start.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
RussianSniper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Simple. Reply to topic Reply with quote

THIS IS SIMPLE. 1 COMPUTER, RUNNING ZONE(S), WHEN COMPUTER IS RUNNING, ZONE IS RUNNING, WHEN COMPUTER OFF, ZONE OFF, WTF IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 MORE LESSON!

SLOW CONNECTION = LESS PPL
FAST CONNECTION = MORE PPL
Pricetag

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmh, in your experience: How many players (more or less) could i host on my server (before it crashed or lagged out or any frowned upon situation occur) with those specs?

p4 1.7, 20gb, cable 1.2/650 or so (could easily upgrade to almost 10 mgb down/1 mgb up)
mistermanners

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

me too i was wonderin if i ocould run a server on that p4 1.7, 20gb, cable 1.2/650 or so (could easily upgrade to almost 10 mgb down/1 mgb up)
tkxsdfsg
Siaon
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Internal memory is more important then disk space.

Yesterday was history, Tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can run a small zone with.... 5MB of memory? Memory is not really something is game needs much, unless you're gonna host some 500-player zones.
-"l33t h41ku"
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

its all in the speed. sending things across the earth is a little more complicated than storing them in a piece of hardware smaller than a lunchbox...
mister_manners

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

256meg?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Zone Hosting / Advertising All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 665 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.531253 seconds : 48 queries executed (80.9%): GZIP compression disabled