Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Generic Router How To

View previous topic  Map Problem Post :: Post i need help with server.ini  View next topic  
wEaViL
Don't make me turn this forum around!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Generic Router How To Reply to topic Reply with quote

Many thanks to GGTM, Cyan~Fire, Smong, and all of the MGB server help staff. This may only be used on minegoboom.com and shanky.com, others will need my permission.

If this does not work for you, give Portforward.com's How-Tos a try.

~Index~

1. What to do first
2.Things you need to know
2a. Router Access Point
2b. Computer/Server IP
2c. Server/Router IP
2d. Biller Version
3. Router Settings
4. Firewall Settings
5. Biller settings <if using Catid's Biller>
6. Server Settings

Section 1 What to do first
--------------------------
Setup your server like normal using the tutorial from shanky.com: How to setup a zone

Section 2 What you need to know
-------------------------------
There are many things you need to know in order to set up your server. You will need to make note of your Router Access Point, Computer/Server IP, Server/Router IP, and Biller Version.

2a. Router Access Point-
This is the IP you use to access the router settings. To find your access point use the below chart. Leave the command window open after you use it as for you will need it again.

Quote:
Windows 2000/2003/NT/XP- Click on the start menu and then run. Type in cmd to pull up the dos command box. Now type ipconfig and right down the default gateway.

Windows 9x/ME- Click on the start menu and then run. Type in winipcfg and select your lan card from the list. Now write down your default gateway.

2b. Server/Computer IP-
Now you need to find your IP address for the server/computer. To do this visit http://www.whatismyip.com/ and right down the IP it tells you.

2c. Server/Router IP-
This is the IP that the router gives your computer. To find this go back to your command window and write down the IP Address. Should look like your default gateway only ending with different numbers.

2d. Biller Version-
You will need to know what biller you are running. There will be a extra step if you are running Catid's Biller. Otherwise you do not need to worry about it.

Section 3 Router Settings
------------------------
For this section you need to open your server.ini file and make note of your selected Port in the MISC section. Now to setup the router to forward the ports to your server type in the Router Access IP you noted in section 2a into your browser of choice. If that does not work then you need to find out what type of router you use and go to there website to find the setup ip you need. Once the page has loaded it should ask you to login. Most router by default use admin as the username and no password, others use admin as the username and the password. Again if you cant figure it out then go to there routers webpage and look for it. Once inisde the router setup page click on the filters tab. In here there should be a section to forward ports. You will need to type in the port number you use in the server.ini +1. For example port 3000 and 3001. Select udp as the type and input the IP from section 2c. Apply those settings. Look thew the settings of the router and find a option called Block WAN Request. Disable that function. Some routers may not have this. If in the filters section you run into a selection called Customized Apps you need to add subgame2 the port and your router assigned ip in there to.... This is a funtion on Linksys not sure about other brands.... I know a lil more when I get my Netgear and I set it up.

Section 4 Firewall Settings
---------------------------
This section can be omitted if you do not run a firewall. Most firewalls allow you to select ports that are allowed to be accessed by other people. In the firewall settings you need to allow activity on the 2 ports you just used. EX. 3000 and 3001.

Section 5 Biller Settings
-------------------------
This section can be omitted if you are not running Catid's Biller. If you are running catid's biller you need to open the zone.dat file with notepad or word pad and add the following to it.

Quote:
MY Server,64.34.187.36,5000,,0 <--- Your IP the website gave you
#My Server
MY Server,192.168.1.105,5000,,0 <--- Your IP the router gave you
#My Server

Section 6 Server Settings
-------------------------
This section will tell you what settings to change on the server. Change these settings to as shown.
Code: Show/Hide
Misc
ServerIP=24.163.21.228     <- IP from section 2b

Billing
IP=127.0.0.1         <- if this does not work trying changing it to localhost

Your zone should now work. If you still need help please post a new topic in the forum.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wEaViL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Something I found to help with setting up netgear's
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp#RP614Anchor
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
a_bug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i just wanna say thank you so so so so so much, words cannot express my gratitude, ty so much omg it fianlly works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
JoWie-tolazytologin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Dmz Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can also use DMZ, this would disable the router's firewall for one computer, so basicly it would allow every port among other things
wEaViL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is not something anyone should do... that will open you up to any hacker or hijacker that wants into your comp.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DMZ is for newbs. icon_razz.gif
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
wEaViL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That too lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what is dmz
Night_Fox
dark_mistress is too sexy for me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Firewall option: DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)

If you have a local client PC that cannot run an Internet application properly from behind the NAT firewall, then you can open the client up to unrestricted two-way Internet access by defining a Virtual DMZ Host.

Multiple PCs can be exposed to the Internet for two-way communications e.g. Internet gaming, video conferencing, or VPN connections. To use the DMZ, you must set a static IP address for that PC.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's not a firewall option but a NAT routing option.

Using a DMZ was considered "dangerous" and "for newbs" earlier in this thread because every incoming connection from outside the LAN would be forwarded to the DMZ host, which can be dangerous because every service running on that system would be reachable from the internet (or at least, from outside your LAN).

E.g. if you would have a shared drive on your system and leave your Netbios service (this mostly uses port 139) unprotected somebody could easily attach to your shared drive(s) and view, delete or download your files.

You don't need to forward ports for outgoing connections, incoming only.

A static IP address is not required, you only have to change the port forwarding settings to another IP if it changes. sa_tongue.gif
cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

anyone know anything about dsl routers and how u would go about doing that?
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It depends on what brand you use. Go to the website for your brand, find the online manual, and look up how to forward ports.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Night_Fox
dark_mistress is too sexy for me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depends also on what ADSL router you got?
Brand name and series?
rootbear75
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what if we dont have a static ip?
do we need to goto that site every time we run our zone?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address MSN Messenger
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess so. Or you can setup a no-ip account that will redirect to your ip, no matter if it changes... so you'd set ServerIP to something like myaccount.no-ip.info and it would redirect to your IP
www.no-ip.com

(I did not try it yet, but I'm pretty sure it works)

Also, if you did set up your router and server.ini as told in this thread, and that you still can't connect to your zone, try adding it as a custom zone with the IP 127.0.0.1 :
Zones -
Add Custom -
Zone Name -(Whatever the zone's name is)
Ip=127.0.0.1
Port=(Whatever the port is of the zone)

Or, edit the zones.dat file to modify your zone's IP ... it will do the same thing.

I've had this problem (and know other people had) and doing this fixed it (thanks to Cyan~Fire icon_smile.gif ) . When you have that problem, other people should be able to connect to your zone, just not you.
Mar|o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried the way it sad up there, didn't work, I tried using portfoward.com my zone was still red, I just cannot seem to be able to foward the prts on my router allowing my zone not to be red. Can somebody help me!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
wEaViL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you possibly behind a firewall? If you forwarded the ports then its got to be 1 of 2 things... firewall or the ports your using are used by another program or blocked by your isp.
Mar|o

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I actaully dont have a firewall at all icon_confused.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
RiGhTiOcHaP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heh... thx weavil. I happened to have a router, and three firewalls to back it up. Windows xp, the router, and McAfee, the obvious one. For anyone making a new zone, i just have to say to follow All of weavils steps, designate clear ports for Everything (such as:5000-5001) and then last of all, make sure you have accounted for All of your firewalls.

icon_mad.gif I think it took me about 5 hours to realize that the dumb windows xp firewall was the only thing stopping my zone from going up.

So marlo, you may not have a router.. but make sure to check your whole computer for firewalls. You may want to deactive everything, open your whole computer up and try running it, just to make sure that its not your server.ini file thats messed up. thx again weavil icon_biggrin.gif its people like you that keep people like me lazy.
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RiGhTiOcHaP wrote:
I happened to have a router, and three firewalls to back it up.

RiGhTiOcHaP wrote:
icon_mad.gif I think it took me about 5 hours to realize that the dumb windows xp firewall was the only thing stopping my zone from going up.

So, uhm, you do realize the dumb part of your problem wasn't the "windows xp firewall", right?
wEaViL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Your welcome, just glad to be able to help people to get there zones to work. Took a little while to figure out what all needed to be done to allow a server behind a router to allow connects. Glad my tut's are still helping people.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are some cases where you will be unable to see the zone green yourself. You'll have to manually add a zone with the IP 127.0.0.1. If that zone is still red, then your server has a problem. This step should work with or without port forwarding, since everything stays inside your local network.

Once you can connect to it like that, check if the zone appears in the zones list when you download new zones.
If it does, ask someone else to download the zone list, add your zone, and try to connect to it. Other people (outside your local network) should see the zone green and be able to connect if port forwarding is correctly set.

How did you "use portforward.com" exactly? Show us what you set in your router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 685 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.575219 seconds : 47 queries executed (82.4%): GZIP compression disabled