Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
.NET snare or wonderboy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  No me for a week or so Post :: Post Microsoft BS.NET  View next topic  
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:38 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: .NET snare or wonderboy? Reply to topic Reply with quote

developer's and user's opinions of the .NET framework?
sure is nice to be able to use it... is the download a great deterrent for end users?
can it be embedded?
any opinions of the C# langauge? Will it last?
any experience with mono?(http://www.go-mono.com/)
dotGNU???(http://www.dotgnu.org/)

A side note(seriously threatening to posess this post like a freak from BodySnatchers):
What is the ultimate stumbling block for those who have attempted to write map editors?[/url]
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still have not installed the framework for any system I own, or almost any system I govern over. So far, it looks about like a bloated VB.

Its portage to non-windows systems is still very lacking, which make it not as practical in that sense. I'd personally still stick with java, as it is well proven, and works fine with everyone, except those who use Microsoft's VM, which is a pile of crap.

If you are looking to use this with a map editor, please note that most a lot of people will be moving over to using Linux for hosting, as ASSS runs so much nicer and is a much nicer platform to run a server off.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the java vm is a severe pain the arse when it comes to getting anything done quickly. Getting things done is a snap. I'm just afraid that performance will be my tragic flaw, and i won't be able to call up sun microsystems and get them to fix it... or list 900mhz+ cpu in the system requirements...
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

do it in C++

the only people that have started making a new map/lvz/etc editor post-SSME/SSLED have been relatively inexperienced programmers

they probably run into a snag bigger than their determination can push through

CLE used some silly code/engine/something so even if it had been done it would've been a pain

SOS's was looking good, but he's apparently disappeared off the face of Estonia ( icon_sad.gif )
he was using C#

so - sa_tongue.gif do it in C++ for Windows and make the source available and people can compile it themselves for other OSs sa_tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:12 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do it with a backbone of C/C++, which shouldn't be very hard, and then use OpenGL to display it if you want. It isn't all that hard to do. There are some very nice tutorials on how to use it. Plus it can teach you how to use a very powerful rendering tool, even if to only load bitmaps to the screen.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
nintendo64
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually Object Pascal is good enough for a Subspace Map Editor, the problem is the used some component with DirectX 7 encapsulation to handle the display, which was very stupid because it was too slow to draw, plus DirectX 7?!?! what were they thinking, it's just a map editor not a game!, it could even had used GDI!.

-nintendo64
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:22 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I want a map editor written in actionscript sa_tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i can't afford the software

i seriously considered C# (genuine ms fo-java for MFC). But there's your .NET hell again.
i have seen OGL implementations of widgets, etc. They scare me (as ignorant as my ofservations have been).
In any case, I've got myself entrenched in java, so even if i do end up porting, it will probably be from java source. There is always GCJ as well, but i have had some unkind experience with its native compilations...
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:59 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I never learn graphical events w/ C++ and/or dont know pascal so Im working on VB6 biggrin.gif and running strong w00t LOL.. laugh all you like but at least ill have my verrry own map editor biggrin.gif.. well once i figure out how to read/write maps lol... cheers to myself w00t! rotfl....... (yes i have gone mentally mad >icon_smile.gif) lol... - cypher
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

vb sucks... no matter what version
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:29 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Helicon wrote:

what, the object pascal stuff?

there's probably free stuff somewheres
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:05 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Akai wrote:
Helicon wrote:

what, the object pascal stuff?

there's probably free stuff somewheres
.NET is free, but they have strange liscencing

ie Visual Studio .NET
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:27 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

bleh, I wouldn't bother with it myself - but I don't know much about it except that it's supposed to be a mix of C++ and the Java VM idea...which sounds odd, especially when Sun kicks total ass with how they handle Java

but no doubt the ignorant masses will flock to .NET (already have I guess) and Java will get fux0red
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:10 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

C# is the worst of both worlds. Its not cross platform like C++, and its slow like Java.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:31 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

slow at runtime not in development
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:34 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ya, that's how I was looking at it, Doc

they wanted best of both worlds but...lol just a retarded idea

the problem is that Microsoft doesn't need good ideas, they have their bullshit
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:06 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

if i could sell millions of people the same bullshit over and over until i end up filthy rich... id say that's enough good ideas
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:00 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If Bill Gates got 5 cents for every time windows crashed.... say, do you think that maybe thats what happened? icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:30 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

can anyone recomend a framework (prefferably java-esque and cross-playtform, but native) for a c++ program???
this is a lot to ask... but heck, it might exist, right?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does this help?
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7184/guitool.html

What about SDL?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:24 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, there is SDL, it's not bad.

There is the gnome one, I think it's called GTK.

Lets not forget QT, as seen in KDE.

There are a couple OpenGL based ones out there.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nice link...
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:58 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
I still have not installed the framework for any system I own, or almost any system I govern over. So far, it looks about like a bloated VB.

diesn't win 2003 have a pretty deeply embedded/integrated .NET runtime???
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:00 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

btw, it will probably come at least preinstalled in the next incarnations of windows
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:49 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, "longhorn" has a .NET command line. Sux don't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 1183 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.704267 seconds : 49 queries executed (76.5%): GZIP compression disabled