Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Java map editor????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  ship#.bm2-maker (For custom-sized ship... Post :: Post languages  View next topic  
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Java map editor???? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone attempted a java map editor???

I understand that the image i/o is covered...

does anyone know:
does awt, swing, or swt support imageboxes(bitmap widgets)?
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sure there's a way, but since I've only been a JAVA DEVELOPER (oh yes, I can make a DOS prompt spit out specified lines of text) I couldn't tell you exactly how $

gimme a month
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It would be very easy to do, I think. It would be too slow for some people's happyness, tho, and its a real pain to get it all the way to 100%.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cypherjf (jason)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

indeed... I'm taking java now, the label actually allows you to load images into it, add it into a scroll pane, and wallah ... but I'm not exactly sure how tiles would be accomplished :-/ ... and I'd learn to love how to read/write SS map files so if anyone knows how to do that should let me know icon_wink.gif

lol - jason (cypherjf)
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GUIs suck. Hmm.. I should make a CLI LVL editor.

Enough abbreviations for you?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
I should make a CLI LVL editor.

you're a sick, sick guy sa_tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you ever had to edit a map with subspace v1.32's built in map editor? Ugh.

Back on topic: Java should do fine for making a map editor. As I code very little with Java, I cannot help too much, but support your efforts.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The LVL IO code is very easy to do with Java. Get some way to display it and edit it, and you are all set.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah, yeah. turns out i you can always render a Graphics object on the fly, but that's a pain in my ass... whoa...
just found this... ill try to hack it... (haven't taken a look at it yet)

Gridder_0_0_1.zip - 217.21 KB
File downloaded or viewed 56 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

where could i find out the IO of the maps? :-/

Is there documentation on it somewhere? I'm interested in designing a map editor that will also help w/ LVZ's icon_smile.gif

but i dont know how to write/read maps like the design layout protocol w/e for the map file itself..

thanks - jason
cypherjf at yahoo dot com
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It would be great if, say, Bob Dole.. Bob Dole... Bob Dole...... bob dole.... bob... dole.... could incorporate his LIE into a map editor, so it'd be all in one. But I'm guessing LIE is C++...
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think k0z codes almost exclusively in delphi

but, uh...why not just have the editor allow you to drag and drop your images around precisely and generate the .lvz itself? (it would of course be nice for people that know what they're doing to be able to mess with the organization before the lvz(s) are generated)

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Have you ever had to edit a map with subspace v1.32's built in map editor? Ugh.

awe ya biggrin.gif that thing is oldskool GOLD! lol

Dr Brain wrote:
It would be too slow for some people's happyness

well look at it this way...it will probably be faster than CLE, heh

Dr Brain wrote:
and its a real pain to get it all the way to 100%.

eh?
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

no worries... yet
Will let you know if and when i get a decent basic map editor in java, then if the GPL hasn't been murdered by everyone's ex-favorite linux distributor, i'll release open source so MGB can make me feel inferior again

Edit:
FYI: SCo (formerly Caldera) has recently assaulted the GPL both legally and by altering the liscence under which they provide their linux distribution. The case is pending as of this writing (I believe). If in doubt, check http://www.slashdot.org where the suit is being covered in blogs extensively

Last edited by Helicon on Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pffft, redhat
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Akai wrote:
well look at it this way...it will probably be faster than CLE, heh

Dr Brain wrote:
and its a real pain to get it all the way to 100%.

eh?

May not be much faster.

100% features. I usually don't get projects past 95% when I'm working on my own. That last 5% is a real haul.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

really - you couldn't get a Java map editor to work roughly at the speed of SSME?
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its possible, I suppose. But it would be crap on <500MHz.
Dustpuppy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I'll write a map editor using curses. Just to be different.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lol.
Akai wrote:
(it would of course be nice for ...

Yeah, that's why I say incorporate LIE features. That way you could also put in non-image files too.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i run a 400mhz machine... triple booting.
Java is nice in that i can run it off a shared drive.. with almost any OS.
Performance will eventually be a lesser concern... and the performance isn't THAT much of a concern if you hack down to the basic graphics classes. I'm looking into using java implementation of opengl to really get things moving... or not
Perhaps what i'll have is a nifty basis for a c++ or obj-c port...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmm. How many types of tiles are there.
I could display 0-9 & A-Z & a-z = 62 types...
Perhaps I'd have to use colour.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

note on works:
i am building tests, and i've just finished redisigning the format to include just about any pixel or tile-width object imaginable...
assuming someone will implement when my patience runs out...
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

suggestions please:
i am currently using a Tool class to define painting of selected tiles to the map. Currently things like Pencil and Line extend it. However, i am wondering if that extensibility is worth the cost in tossing classes around and handling events and painting between 2+ classes at a time (IE to render lines being stretched/moved, etc) will kill performance. If there are effects they would mostly be sudden spikes in memory usage that fade once the calls have been made. I don't believe this will drag Windows boxes with 256mb of ram too much... below that, who knows?
should i make the tools built straight in as functions and enumerate... or keep things nice and OOP-happy???

PS: I am now officially performance paranoid in java (i am going to explode)
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ya, I was about to learn Java, but it'd be slow... icon_sad.gif
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will do it if someone will take over running my zone for a month or so. Lol, not that anyone could, but I'm just saying time is my issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 678 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.543767 seconds : 52 queries executed (79.8%): GZIP compression disabled