Server Help

ASSS Questions - Two questions

Hakaku - Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 am
Post subject: Two questions
I have two questions regarding my compilation/asss 1.5.0 rc1:

1. What exactly would cause the zone to not forward the population count to the client/directory server?

2. Since fm_normal is now deprecated, how do you get teams to balance properly? (Players entering an arena seem to simply get stacked all on the same team)
Mine GO BOOM - Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:12 am
Post subject: Re: Two questions
Hakaku wrote:
1. What exactly would cause the zone to not forward the population count to the client/directory server?

Do you have the correct directory servers listed? Did you choose a unique first-word? If your first word isn't unique enough (like you are trying to do SSCL, the SSC matches) you may be required to enter a directory password to support the first word. So give your zone a name like "Hakaku's Funhouse" and see if that works.

If you show up fine in the directory listings, but in Continuum it doesn't show, you need to open up your firewall for your server's port plus one. So if your zone uses port 5000, 5001 is the port used for server counts.
Hakaku - Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:09 pm
Post subject: Re: Two questions
Mine GO BOOM wrote:
If you show up fine in the directory listings, but in Continuum it doesn't show, you need to open up your firewall for your server's port plus one. So if your zone uses port 5000, 5001 is the port used for server counts.

The zone appears fine in the directory server listing and Continuum recognizes it. I'm just getting a population count of 0 regardless of the number of players within the zone. Edit: I managed to figure out how to open up the port properly, it's now fixed.
numpf - Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:25 pm
Post subject:
A new freqman (that's been tested in HS/HZ for at least a year) was merged into default Aug 15. The freqman prior to that is known to be broken. see:
https://bitbucket.org/grelminar/asss/issue/92/create-player-count-based-balancer

There are still outstanding issues that you might be able to work around for your purposes. If you can't I will make time to code a fix.

-numpf
Anonymous - Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:16 am
Post subject: post a link
My problem is the links to the set up guides are dead
Cheese - Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:45 am
Post subject:
what are you trying to set up
Hakaku - Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 pm
Post subject:
No sense replying to a bot.

http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?t=8939&highlight=my+problem+is+the+links+to+set+up+guides+are+dead
Cheese - Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:04 pm
Post subject:
usually the piles of shit are more incoherent, and theres still a chance it might have been a legitimate newb

meanwhile still waiting for that "what is a warbird" signup question from mgb
Mine GO BOOM - Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 am
Post subject:
Cheese wrote:
usually the piles of shit are more incoherent, and theres still a chance it might have been a legitimate newb

Bots will create accounts and posts, copied some random phrase from another post on the forums to bypass spam filters. Then they come back 1 or 6 months later and edit all their posts to spam, or add signatures that are spam. I usually delete the user and the posts, but since you guys are replying, I only deleted their account and thus the post is no longer editable.

Cheese wrote:
meanwhile still waiting for that "what is a warbird" signup question from mgb

Eh, it isn't too much trouble. And the basic anti-spam stuff I put in (ignoring captcha) stops around 2000 post attempts a day, so a few getting through while not blocking a single good user is acceptable to me. Plus the guys getting through are real people in remote countries (Pakistan is the popular one recently) that actually work around the spam filters in place, so adding a "What is a warbird" question won't stop them as long as it is multiple choice. I had one user go through 20 pages of manual sign up stuff with checkboxes that are sometimes required checked, and sometimes not, so they are very determined for their pennies to post here.
Cheese - Fri May 01, 2015 10:31 am
Post subject:
so make it an open ended question that is very specific

"in 2 letters, what is a warbird?"

"in 4 letters, what is this a picture of?" (a terrier)

etc
All times are -5 GMT
View topic