Server Help

Trash Talk - Bot infestation

Cheese - Wed May 04, 2011 2:23 pm
Post subject: Bot infestation
so im willing to bet that most people are sick of these bots/dumb indians that are posting crap everywhere and necroing threads.

how simple would it be to simply force people to register and then display a picture of a ship 1-8 and ask "what ship is this?"
thats all it takes.
Samapico - Wed May 04, 2011 4:08 pm
Post subject:
Or make some people mods so they can quickly eliminate the trash...
Mine GO BOOM - Fri May 13, 2011 6:51 pm
Post subject:
Implemented Stop Forum Spam API with a frequency match of at least 5 to username, email, or IP when registering. Still allowing full guest posting to see how the spammers evolve to this. This compliments the data I use from httpbl.
Mine GO BOOM - Fri May 13, 2011 6:54 pm
Post subject:
This post should be replaced with a SQL result showing ban statistics.
Mine GO BOOM - Fri May 27, 2011 1:15 pm
Post subject:
I have updated the ASSS Wiki and setup ConfirmEdit with simple math questions. It does support easy question/answer mode with QuestyCaptcha if we would want to switch to question/answers. But do remember, they do need to be one that anyone with only very minor Subspace knowledge would know, so if we do want to go with question/answers, it would need to be very stupidly simple things.

And since I did update the wiki, if you guys run into any problems, let me know.
Cheese - Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 pm
Post subject:
hurray
Cheese - Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:27 am
Post subject: Re: Bot infestation
Cheese wrote:
how simple would it be to simply force people to register and then display a picture of a ship 1-8 and ask "what ship is this?"
thats all it takes.

i guarantee you that the day you add this will be the last day these idiots spam the forums
Cheese - Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:12 pm
Post subject:
mgb sure is creating a lot of work for himself by not implementing this
Samapico - Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:41 pm
Post subject:
Well... to be honest, clearing these out probably takes like... 5 minutes. Say it happens once a week...

How much time would it take to implement such a system? Probably a couple hours to do it and test it and everything.
Is it worth it? Depends.
Cheese - Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:26 pm
Post subject:
how many years have these forums been up?
once a week for years must suck
Cheese - Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:04 pm
Post subject:
lol, bot infestation posting in bot infestation thread
Cheese - Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:27 am
Post subject:
why isn't the simple registration question up yet?
forums getting bot-raped while you afk, mgb...
Mine GO BOOM - Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:39 am
Post subject:
Cheese wrote:
why isn't the simple registration question up yet?
forums getting bot-raped while you afk, mgb...

Because real life eats a lot of time...
Cheese - Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:07 am
Post subject:
so mgb, u gonna add those registration questions soon, or is deleting 300+ posts easier?
Mine GO BOOM - Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:41 pm
Post subject:
Cheese wrote:
so mgb, u gonna add those registration questions soon, or is deleting 300+ posts easier?

Deleting them is actually pretty easy, though I really need to find time to modify the code. Fun part of being in a different country for months at a time is the lack of time to really do maintenance stuff whenever you want.
Mine GO BOOM - Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 am
Post subject:
Mine GO BOOM wrote:
I really need to find time to modify the code.

I found the time and updated a bit of the easy anti-spammer-blocker stuff. Should last a little while with me being able to easily update the simple block in seconds now.
Cheese - Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 pm
Post subject:
hurray icon_biggrin.gif
All times are -5 GMT
View topic