Server Help

ASSS Questions - security.so

SuSE - Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:01 am
Post subject: security.so
dist/README.developers wrote:
There are some modules that I can't include the source to for various reasons. There's a binary of them for linux (bin/security.so)...

What're the reasons?
Is it necessary for Discretion, or just Continuum?

Pardon my ignorance. icon_biggrin.gif
Dr Brain - Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:43 am
Post subject:
Security.so holds the server side encryption routines. Keeping it closed source helps to make the continuum encryption a bit harder to break. It also makes it harder to avoid the security checks.

I don't believe that Discretion has any encryption on its packet transmission.

If you have a specific need for a security.so, let me know. I won't be giving out the source, though.
Cheese - Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:06 pm
Post subject:
Dr Brain: Keeping Twister v2 out of Continuum
SuSE - Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 pm
Post subject:
Dr Brain wrote:
I don't believe that Discretion has any encryption on its packet transmission.

So ASSS and Discretion should work fine together without the security module? Just needs to be delisted from modules.conf? Has anyone actually tried it? (asked BaK- on ssforum.net since he seems more active there[?])

Dr Brain wrote:
If you have a specific need for a security.so, let me know. I won't be giving out the source, though.

Thanks, but if this means ASSS will build and work alright on AMD64 now, I guess the binary tarball's version will be good enough for my purposes[?]. icon_smile.gif

I don't know how I keep missing you in-game, man. Seems like ?find Dr Brain always says you were on 1-3 hours ago (usually when I was on then, too, but didn't bother to check sa_tongue.gif).
Dr Brain - Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 am
Post subject:
I don't know much about ASSS and Discretion. I've got some changes from Bak I need to integrate into the standard version, but I've been putting that off for an overhaul of the connection code.

Yes, it works fine on AMD64.

I'm usually on for less than 20 minutes at a time. You have to be quick to catch me if I don't know you're looking for me. Hanging out in Hyperspace is a good way to catch me in-game.
Anonymous - Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:16 pm
Post subject:
Discretion uses an enc_disc module which can coexist with the continuum encryption module (so both can be active at the same time). Discretion right now doesn't do any encryption since it would add very little to the security of the client.

also: i can't reset my password on these forums I made a topic about it a few months ago and am not sure what to do now.
Dr Brain - Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:31 pm
Post subject:
Make BaK+?
SuSE - Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:51 pm
Post subject:
Thanks guys. icon_smile.gif
All times are -5 GMT
View topic