Server Help

ASSS Questions - Turn off Chatnet kill messages

Doc Flabby - Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:15 pm
Post subject: Turn off Chatnet kill messages
Is there a way to turn off kill messages on chatnet, for a low bandwidth client, they are quite spammy.
CypherJF - Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 pm
Post subject:
might be nice esp. if anyone plans to build a mobile chatnet client... you'd likely need to come up with a new version of the protocol and add an options value; or define a "low bandwidth" flag on connection.

maybe someone can easily confirm this but i believe modifications to chatnet protocol aren't easy since all the messages, etc. are scattered throughout the core instead of a simple module? anyone care to confirm/deny?
Cheese - Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:38 pm
Post subject:
confirmed: messages are scattered.
however, its up to the client to do something with the text messages it gets sent

isnt the ?kill ss command client side?
if ?kill=off, message isnt printed

couldnt you just do that?
Dr Brain - Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:45 pm
Post subject:
At the moment there's no way to turn them off without modifying server side code.
Doc Flabby - Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:23 pm
Post subject:
CypherJF wrote:
if anyone plans to build a mobile chatnet client...

http://www.ssforum.net/index.php?showtopic=24574&view=findpost&p=264465

The problem is there is so much kill spam...the poor mobile connection can't cope and gets further and further behind...I will see if theres anything i can optimise. On the emulator it doesn.t have this problem of lagging behind, only when you run it on a real phone it gets laggy.
Dr Brain - Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:29 pm
Post subject:
A next-generation chat protocol is something that would be welcomed. Chatnet is great, but it's too simple for many potential applications.

If you're willing to plumb the depths of the asss core with Arnk and myself, we can probably get a new API to generalize player connections so the code isn't scattered across 10 modules.
All times are -5 GMT
View topic