Server Help

LVZ/LVL Questions - LVZ Format limits

Hawkaloogie - Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:19 am
Post subject: LVZ Format limits
I'm building an LVZ library in Perl, and I'm coming across some things I don't understand:

An object definition (map/screen) has an 8-bit field for Image ID. This corresponds to an image definition later in the file (the ID is the index of the image definition, I think).

It seems there are allowed to be 2 ^ 32 image definitions, but you can only reference 2 ^ 8 of them? Is there a way to get those other 2 ^ 24 image definitions (perhaps after the client has joined the arena)?
Samapico - Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:13 pm
Post subject:
First of all, 2^24 + 2^8 is not equal to 2^32 tongue.gif

Quote:
u32 Image Count How many image (imageobject) definitions are in this Object Section.
This is only to have that section fit in blocks of 4 bytes. If that value was 8bits, that header would be 9 bytes long, which is not very standard, as far as I know. Plus, the fact that this value is less limited doesn't mean much... The 2^8 limit is indeed defined later:
Quote:
u8 Image Number Which of the Image Definitions this object will use for its graphic.

And there's not much you can do about it.

On top of that, the 256 images limit is global for the arena... Meaning you can only have 256 images TOTAL in an arena, in all of your LVZs. I think Continuum uses 8bits of data in the packets that define objon's and objoff's.
Hawkaloogie - Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:42 pm
Post subject:
Hells fuck and damn.

Also, thanks.
All times are -5 GMT
View topic