Server Help

Zone Hosting / Advertising - SubSpace StarCraft

Icebird - Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:32 am
Post subject: SubSpace StarCraft

SSSC combines two of my most favorite games in one. I have been working on this for many months and the first arena is almost finished. It will feature Terrans vs Protoss. Terrans use SCVs, Marines, Vultures and Tanks. Protoss use Probes, Zealots, Dragoons and Reavers. It uses the exact settings from original StarCraft (health points, shields, unit costs, unit build times). There will be two ways to win. Capture more resource points (flags) than the other team within some minutes or bring the psi emitter (ball) into the enemy base to lure zergs.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Terran Spawn

Protoss Spawn

Top "Base" (there you see some resource points)

Psi Emitter

Terran Base

Protoss Base

VIDEO

I am looking for testers (IRC needed) and of course hosting. Please use PM.
Samapico - Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:49 am
Post subject:
Is that subgame or ASSS?
Looks relatively nicely done... ships rotation angles seemed a bit off in the video (vs firing angle)
And I'm guessing you plan on replacing that text Shields status by lvz's of some sort

And that looks like a huge download, what's the size of all of this? If you didn't do that already, you might want to consider having one lvz file with only the image definitions, and put the files themselves in separate lvz's, that will allow you to move images around without requiring people to redownload the whole thing.
Icebird - Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:48 pm
Post subject:
It is ASSS 1.4.4

The units in StarCraft use fewer rotation steps than SubSpace. The red dots you see in the screenshots indicate the exact rotation angle. The text messages are an interim solution. They will be replaced with a counter to the right of the health bar at the top of the screen.

The lvzs are separated: currently 7,3 MB in 13 files.
Cheese - Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:09 pm
Post subject:
sounds good, looks good, good concept.
also appears well thought out.
should do well.
Icebird - Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:09 am
Post subject:
Here is a little update. I have finished the work on the modules and the LVZs. I now need some testers to see if everything works with more than one player. Please contact me! I also have a picture that shows the working protoss interface. Please ignore the energy counter in the top right. It doesn't mean anything when playing as protoss.

Protoss interface in action

blue monday - Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:10 pm
Post subject:
Looks great!
Dr Brain - Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:07 pm
Post subject:
Looks cool. How much do you depend on ASSS? Beyond the shields, I mean.
Icebird - Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:39 pm
Post subject:
Except the shields I have two other modules.

One manages spawning and points. You always spawn in your teams spawn area. In order to get to the battlefield you have to get close to the transport vehicle. If you have enough points and you have waited longer than the build time for that unit type you will be warped into the base of your team. You gain points by controlling the resource fields (but that is standard turf game and not controlled by my module)

The other one controls the game logic. That is warping players to the spawn areas and resetting their points to an initial value (50 now, enough to buy a SCV or Probe) once the win condition is met or the time is over.
Purge - Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm
Post subject:
Would be nice if you can build structures, armories, etc. like in the real StarCraft game and other RTS games. sa_tongue.gif
Icebird - Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:37 pm
Post subject:
Purge wrote:
Would be nice if you can build structures, armories, etc. like in the real StarCraft game and other RTS games. sa_tongue.gif

Maybe in the future.
Bak - Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 pm
Post subject:
I dunno if you've seen my vehicles module but I think it would work well with your zone. I don't think anyone's actually used it but I think it's the sweetest thing ever:

http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?t=7055

You could have players start out as marines/zealots/zerglings(larva?) and be able to get into better vehicles as they play.
Icebird - Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:49 am
Post subject:
I could emulate terran bunkers this way but I can't sacrifice a ship type to be the bunker (4 per race is few enough). Other than that I don't really see use for it. Units in StarCraft are not mountable, you just spawn as a different type.

However, once the zone is working on Continuum I'll have a closer look at Discretion and see if I can port it.
From the wiki: "The goal of this is to eliminate any built-in constraints present in VIE SubSpace and Continuum. [...] the number of ships"
That would allow me to include all units from StarCraft, not just 4 from every race. Maybe it would be even possible to have certain ships be blocked by tiles and others can just fly through (for air units).
Another idea that crossed my mind is to have weapons that fade in and out + ships have different states with different settings for every state + friction for ships / no drifting. All this would allow me to include the lurker with its spines. etc etc, the possibilities are endless I guess - Provided Discretion is stable and finds many supporters.
L.C. - Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:00 am
Post subject:
Quote:
Another idea that crossed my mind is to have weapons that fade in and out + ships have different states with different settings for every state + friction for ships / no drifting. All this would allow me to include the lurker with its spines. etc etc, the possibilities are endless I guess - Provided Discretion is stable and finds many supporters.
Correct -- and with that kind of support to Discretion, the developer of it (forgive me -- I totally forgot his name icon_sad.gif ) may be motivated to develop it further. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Players could elect a commander to do the base building and stuff. biggrin.gif
Samapico - Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 am
Post subject:
L.C. wrote:
(forgive me -- I totally forgot his name icon_sad.gif ) may be motivated to develop it further. biggrin.gif
Just look a few posts above you tongue.gif
Icebird - Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 am
Post subject:
I need testers. Join #sssc on irc.gamesurge.net.
Bak - Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:11 pm
Post subject:
Right click Continuum.exe and go to run as. Select a different account on your computer (must have a password). You can run continuum in windowed mode with two users at once.
Maverick - Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:32 pm
Post subject:
Bak wrote:
Right click Continuum.exe and go to run as. Select a different account on your computer (must have a password). You can run continuum in windowed mode with two users at once.

Be careful with this method because Continuum started this way won't allow you to save (download) anything.
Icebird - Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:23 pm
Post subject:
Oh. Didn't know that. I'll try it, thanks.
Icebird - Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:13 am
Post subject:
The zone is online now! Look for "SSA StarCraft". Big thanks to Snrrrub for hosting it.
Cheese - Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:14 pm
Post subject:
Maverick wrote:
[..]

Be careful with this method because Continuum started this way won't allow you to save (download) anything.

only .40 is gay enough to do that, works for others.
Icebird - Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:23 pm
Post subject:
The zone has received an update. The health points of terran units are now simulated like the protoss shields/health points. You will no longer find yourself stuck in a terran ship without any chance to change ship or spectate because you don't have full energy. It is also no longer possible to damage yourself. Join the server and spread the word.
divine.216 - Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 am
Post subject: Incredible
This really is beautiful. I'm impressed.

But I do hope your work stays off of Blizzard's radar. They have a nasty history of crushing their fans' creations with the heavy cudgel of copyright.
Samapico - Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:59 pm
Post subject:
Just add a notice that Starcraft is a trademarked by Blizzard in the news.txt or something, and you'll never have a problem
General Shadow - Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Post subject:
Looks almost like some things from SubSpace 2
Anonymous - Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:06 am
Post subject: Great
Interesting and so much informative.great theme.
Samapico - Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:27 pm
Post subject:
jouli wrote:
Interesting and so much informative.great theme.

^ Spam bot

Rape him or it will edit his post into ads in a couple of days
Cheese - Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:42 pm
Post subject:
im not convinced, it could still just be a really dumb person.
Samapico - Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:55 pm
Post subject:
Trust me, I've seen these on ssforum...

The name in the sig, joining just for posting that single post, non-specific post that could be put in any thread, use of the word 'informative', generic 'Great' post subject...

Joined and posted in 3 minutes...

MGB could easily check other info such as IP and email address to confirm though.
Cheese - Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:18 am
Post subject:
join date alone was enough to convince me :P
Mine GO BOOM - Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm
Post subject:
Samapico wrote:
MGB could easily check other info such as IP and email address to confirm though.

Or the email address alone is all you really needed, though the IP helps to confirm.
Quote:
forums.minegoboom.com 115.186.4.157 - - [25/Apr/2010:23:01:58 -0700] "GET /viewtopic.php?p=76294 HTTP/1.1" 200 120644 "http://src.hostcue.com/domains/admin/search_forum_view.php?forum_id=83255" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 GTB7.0"

Sonic VI - Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:42 pm
Post subject:
It looks good hope u will do well
All times are -5 GMT
View topic