Server Help

Non-Subspace Related Coding - win32

Cheese - Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:04 pm
Post subject: win32
does anyone know a good deal about c++ win32 api programming?

i need a tutor :P
just the elementary stuff, like toolbars, status bars, global hotkeys, themes and other stuff like that.
Cyan~Fire - Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:48 am
Post subject:
I know stuff but the best way to learn is just how I did it... documentation and trial and error.

I'll help you out with quirks, because there definitely are some.
k0zy - Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:15 am
Post subject:
Do you actually want to understand what's going on or do you just want to use it?

There are some nice c++ wrapper classes out there.

Smartwin++, for example.
Mine GO BOOM - Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:21 am
Post subject:
Visual Studios is free for home usage. Use that to make some basic GUIs and then view the source it autogenerates to get an idea of how things are used. Look up documentation, change things, and see how it applies.
Animate Dreams - Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:10 pm
Post subject:
Do you REALLY need to learn the win32 API? I don't know a lot about this subject, but I know there are alternatives like SDL that are... well, far more well-liked among programmers. And cross-platform, to boot.
Dr Brain - Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:13 pm
Post subject:
Animate Dreams wrote:
but I know there are alternatives like SDL that are... well, far more well-liked among programmers. And cross-platform, to boot.

How many programmers have you actually talked to? Because percentage wise, it's probably not true.
Animate Dreams - Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:23 pm
Post subject:
Dr Brain wrote:
[..]

How many programmers have you actually talked to? Because percentage wise, it's probably not true.

Well, I've not met a programmer yet who liked win32. I know that there are probably SOME people who like win32, but I did get a strong impression that there weren't many.
Cyan~Fire - Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:49 pm
Post subject:
o/ Animate.

Designing UIs in SDL? Lol.
Bak - Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:12 am
Post subject:
discretion's front end uses aedgui (http://aedgui.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html) which uses SDL, although I wouldn't recommend it. I think Ekted likes win32.
Animate Dreams - Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:37 pm
Post subject:
Cyan~Fire wrote:
o/ Animate.

Designing UIs in SDL? Lol.

Well, if I remember correctly, there are, um... I guess SDL library extensions you can download. I don't know what they're called. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw one that was built specifically for creating windows-style UIs in SDL.
Cheese - Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:13 am
Post subject:
win32 is fun. havnt found anything more fun yet.
and its almost as easy as html.

and does sdk have anything to do with sdl?
Cyan~Fire - Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:03 pm
Post subject:
SDK stands for software development kit, and SDL is one.
All times are -5 GMT
View topic