Server Help

Non-Subspace Related Coding - Dev-C++ help

AJ - Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:17 am
Post subject: Dev-C++ help
Ok im using Dev-C++, but i dont know anything about C++ or any type of program....I was wondering if someone could help me and or tell me the basics of C++, because if i know that then im all set i hope. So could any one tell me the basic or C++...i cant find a website that helps me out
BDwinsAlt - Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:07 am
Post subject:
This looks promising:
http://www.codechamber.com/tutorials/beginningcpp/beginningcpp2.php

It shows some good examples of input/output streams. The best way to learn is to mess with it and see what it does.
baseball43v3r - Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:08 am
Post subject:
http://www.google.com/search?q=c%2B%2B+tutorials&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

really can't find a website that will give you a c++ tutorial? hmm well....
AJ - Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:54 am
Post subject:
ok i have
Code: Show/Hide
#include <iostream.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{

cout << "Hello, Matey!\n";
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

But when i try to run it gives me a warning saying "source file not compiled", and i dont know how to compile it.
BDwinsAlt - Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:33 am
Post subject:
You need a good compiler. The best free one I can think of is Dev-C++.
AJ - Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:36 am
Post subject:
lol i have Dev-C++, the code there is the code i have in my Dev-C++

Screenshot:
Solo Ace - Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:07 am
Post subject:
Err, you should remove the tabs before the #include statements, I doubt the other tabs are a problem there.

If the problem persists, start over again from scratch. By that I mean uninstall and install Dev-C++ again. Create a new project, test the default Hello World project. See if it works, then start messing with your own code.
k0zy - Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:59 am
Post subject:
I recommend using Code::Blocks.
IMO it's so much better than Dev-C++.

Dev-C++ is so old, and it's code indention freaks me out everytime.

http://www.codeblocks.org/
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0
Cyan~Fire - Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:31 pm
Post subject:
I've had pretty bad experiences with Code::Blocks myself.
k0zy - Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:35 pm
Post subject:
Cyan~Fire wrote:
I've had pretty bad experiences with Code::Blocks myself.

Did you use a recent nightly?
I like it and use it alot actually.
tcsoccerman - Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:10 pm
Post subject:
Aj, once you reninstall dev-c++, go to the menudropdown named "help" and there should be a menuitem called tutorial, or something like that. it explains it quite well, and that's how i learned at first.
Smong - Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:00 pm
Post subject:
To compile in Devcpp click the menu titled "Execute", then click compile. You will also see icons next to each menu option, these icons also exist on the toolbar so next time you don't have to go to the drop down menu.

Also I agree Devcpp indenting sucks. Seems ok until you paste something onto a blank line, at that point it uses spaces instead of tabs. Also pasting large amounts of code has a refresh problem, I usually minimise then maximise the window to fix it.
AJ - Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:02 pm
Post subject:
Smong what do you use?
BDwinsAlt - Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:44 am
Post subject:
He probably uses gcc and make. icon_biggrin.gif
Cyan~Fire - Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:36 am
Post subject:
BDwinsAlt wrote:
He probably uses gcc and make. icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, to edit his code...

Emacs ftw!
Animate Dreams - Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:39 pm
Post subject:
Nah, he uses SciTE, or at least he used to, because he's the one that introduced me to it. It owns, by the way. I'll never use another text editor again. :d
CypherJF - Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm
Post subject:
I use vi for my editing... :-/
BDwinsAlt - Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:14 pm
Post subject:
gedit... I don't like loading eclipse. It uses more resources. sa_tongue.gif

Edit: <3 Scite!
Smong - Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 am
Post subject:
AJ wrote:
Smong what do you use?

In windows I use Devcpp for C since it manages the build process for you and has a graphical debugger (frontend for gdb). I use Scite for everything else though.
AJ - Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:19 pm
Post subject:
hmmmm man c++ is hard....
Anonymous - Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:17 pm
Post subject:
I run HomeSite along side Devcpp and just pasting the code back to dev. I feel inclined to promote Homesite since its the one piece of software that has never let me down, and cause i never pay for anything. so let this be my tribute to them.. HOMESITE RULES
Cheese - Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:36 pm
Post subject:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello, Matey!\n";
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

fixed.
Cheese - Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:38 pm
Post subject:
btw

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
tcsoccerman - Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 pm
Post subject:
cheese, i do believe namespaces aren't in c#..am i wrong?
Cyan~Fire - Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:38 pm
Post subject:
Actually, everything has to be in a namespace in C#...
Cheese - Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm
Post subject:
who said anything about C#? O_o
Cheese - Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm
Post subject:
AJ wrote:
hmmmm man c++ is hard....

:P
AJ - Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:06 pm
Post subject:
I just wish i knew what the people at http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/introduction.html were talking about
tcsoccerman - Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:25 pm
Post subject:
just keep trying. once you start to understand the basics you'll start catching on at other concepts quicker. I know what you're talking about though. When i learned the basics, it was something alot different than what i expected it to be.
AJ - Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:47 pm
Post subject:
hmmm i cant seem to get the hang of c++
Solo Ace - Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:13 am
Post subject:
You're a little young to learn I guess.

It's like sex. There's no point in trying before a certain age.

I'd suggest learning HTML first. It has nothing to do with programming, but it might help you understand some of the "logic" used in computers.

<html>
<head>
<title>Welcome!</title>
</head>
<body>
My first HTML page.
</body>
</html>

D1st0rt - Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:14 pm
Post subject:
Cyan~Fire wrote:
Actually, everything has to be in a namespace in C#...

You don't have to specify it though, it will go into the default namespace.

Here's another decent c tutorial
AJ - Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:17 pm
Post subject:
Solo Ace wrote:

I'd suggest learning HTML first. It has nothing to do with programming, but it might help you understand some of the "logic" used in computers.

<html>
<head>
<title>Welcome!</title>
</head>
<body>
My first HTML page.
</body>
</html>
the sex part isn't true tongue.gif and i know some html, and btw thanks d1
Solo Ace - Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:17 am
Post subject:
Well what's the point in having sex when you're 9 years old? You're just starting to find out what a girl is at that age. And 12, come on. sa_tongue.gif

Well, just keep trying then, you'll learn it eventually.
AJ - Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:39 pm
Post subject:
lol were did u get 9 from? Any way ill keep tring and hopfully ill get sometin done.
Animate Dreams - Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:34 am
Post subject:
Solo Ace wrote:

I just don't know about that. One of my friends has been programming in C++ since he was 10, he's 20 something now and is a freaking genius. He does 3D art too, and he wasn't happy with the way fur was being rendered, so he decided to write his own raytracer. That sounds pretty complex to me. I personally think we should teach programming in elementary school. Nothing super complex, but enough that the kids won't be super computer retarded when they grow up, and be scared of working on computers. I managed to program in qBASIC when I was 4... they were probably the worst programs in the world, but they DID run. Of course back then, you also had to know how to use DOS without freaking out. But I was young and I wasn't going to let anything get in between me and video games, so I learned. Now I'm not claiming to be a super computer whiz, but I do know more about computers than the average guy, and that's probably one of the reasons why, learning early. Kids don't know enough about computers when they're that young to be scared of them yet, so I think it's a great age to start learning.

As to why people ever get scared of computers, I'll never know. My mom isn't stupid when it comes to computers... hell, she knows how to program in FORTRAN and Cobol. She also knows how to navigate DOS. But any time the computer does something she doesn't expect, she freaks out and runs to my dad. The other day, our power went out. We have a UPS, so she shut the computer down, but she was getting pissed and the UPS beeping. I told her to turn it off, but she was too scared to press the power button, because she didn't know what it would do. But it's not like UPSes have self destruct buttons....
All times are -5 GMT
View topic