Bak - Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:42 am
Post subject: EZ Image Rotator

Who Made It: Me, Bak
How To Contact Maker: post here or email, vamperz@yahoo.com
Stage: Release
Programming Language: Java
Source Included: Yes
Requirements: Java JRE, downloadable at java.sun.com

What does it do: Will rotate any image evenly among the number of rows and columns you want. Ideal for ships in subspace but will work with any image. Uses 4x Anti-aliasing!

How to use it: Double click the .jar (java archive) file to run it. It'll open with a default image. You can click open and select your own image and it'll rotate it. Also you can chose the # of rows and # of colums and press refresh to redraw it.

Issues:

-If loading your bitmap doesn't work (it's not a 256 color or 24 bit bitmap) , try converting it to a .png before you load it.

--------------------------------------
UPDATE: 10-20-04 (1.3)

For the background color, the program will now grab the top left pixel of the image and assumes that's the background color. it's going to get cut off anyways, and that's rarely the intention so in my opinion, it's a good assumption. This will allow effortless use of different background colors.

I made an honest effort at antialiasing. Java's support of antialiasing is limited to their drawing calls (like if i wanted to draw a line it could do it antialiased). So rotating images doesn't seem to do it. If anyone wants to find me some java code that can anti alias an image i'll happily add it.

I could use JAI to save the bitmaps and it would compress them, but I'd probably have to distribute the jar's for JAI (~800k) so that's probably not gonna happen.
------------------------------
UPDATE 10-21-04 (1.4)

I thought of a way I could do antialiasing! What I do is I double the image size, and paint a scaled copy of the original image onto it. Then I rotate that one. Then I take the average red green and blue values for the first 2x2 of pixels and make that the color of pixel (0,0) in my rotated image. This means that a pixel can be black, 1/4 gray, 1/2 gray, 3/4 gray, or white. Naterally I expanded it to do 4x the image size (16 shades of gray) to 8x the image size (64 shades of gray). I zoomed in in paint and the difference between 4x and 8x is unnoticable when zoomed in at 8x. So I settled with 4x the image size (there was a noticeable increase in speed by using 4x over 8x). Since there is a noticeable delay while rotating I added a progress bar to entertain you.

Also fixed a small bug with picking the background color and loading different images with different background colors (it works correctly now).
------------------------------
UPDATE 6-1-05 (1.5)

Saving as an uncompressed 24 bit btimap had been removed and replaced by saving as a PNG! Now you truely have no reason not to use this program.

Also, rotating is done in a seperate thread so you don't have to wait for the load image to finish rotating to start using the program.
Smong - Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:19 pm
Post subject:
I just tried this and it is very nice. It doesn't have anti-alias though (I used a big image and I'm going to down size in another program that has anti-alias).

One suggestion is to add a dropper tool to choose the background colour (I'm using this program for something other than ss and it has a different colour for transparency).
SuSE - Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:38 pm
Post subject:
Smong wrote:
something other than ss

what?
Bak - Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:11 am
Post subject:
added effortless support for multiple background colors.
Purge - Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:54 pm
Post subject:
nice prog tongue.gif
Bak - Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:54 pm
Post subject:
added anti-aliasing. The difference is amazing! just look:

zoomed in looks even more impressive:

Solo Ace - Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:24 pm
Post subject:
Rofl, that face looks great. sa_tongue.gif
SuSE - Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:22 am
Post subject:
I'm gonna make a whole zone using that ship
Purge - Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:29 pm
Post subject:
Man, that'll be the best zone ever.... I wish I had good ideas as Suse does. :/
SuSE - Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:00 pm
Post subject:
keep dreamin', junya! sa_tongue.gif
Anonymous - Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:42 pm
Post subject:
omg new_evil.gif u lil :twisted:erd icon_eek.gif biggrin.gif new_evil.gif Bommb
Purge - Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:17 pm
Post subject:
Bumpage owns! biggrin.gif
D1st0rt - Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:27 pm
Post subject:
who dat wuz?
Purge - Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:07 pm
Post subject:
D1st0rt wrote:
who dat wuz?

Huh? Do you mean "who was that?". Well it wasn't me. icon_eek.gif
Bak - Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:29 am
Post subject:
Thanks to a program by Smong, I've been able to modify this to save as a PNG instead of an uncompressed 24-bit bmp. You really have no reason to use any other rotator.
Smong - Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:11 am
Post subject:
Does it still rotate that test image when you run start the program? That is a bit annyoing as you have to wait for it to finish processing.
Bak - Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:37 am
Post subject:
Okay, rotating is now done is a seperate thread, so you can open your image before the load image is done rotating.
All times are -5 GMT
View topic